none
Need Guidance to Find out where is the Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Friends

I need guidance as to where & how to start debugging a filter device driver.

This is the scenario

If I specify Compatible ID (for a dummy hardware id in the INF DDInstall Section) in the inf file, the Device Driver installs fine (using Hardware Change Wizard), but Device Manager says Error 10 (Device Cannot Start).

However if the remove the compatible id from the inf file, it installs fine and works fine.

I want to have compatible id in the inf file so that all goes well, and need help in where to start finding the issue ?

I suspect the inf file might be the culprit, but just by removing compatible id, all (code & inf) works good.

Regards

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:04 AM

Answers

• if you remove the compat ID and that is the only matching ID, the INF is pretty muc a no-op and I have serious doubts that your driver is even in the stack. code 10 means the pnp start failed. have you debugged your PrepareHw() and D0Entry() and other callbacks related to start up in your filter? returning failure there will result in a code 10

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:40 PM

All replies

• if you remove the compat ID and that is the only matching ID, the INF is pretty muc a no-op and I have serious doubts that your driver is even in the stack. code 10 means the pnp start failed. have you debugged your PrepareHw() and D0Entry() and other callbacks related to start up in your filter? returning failure there will result in a code 10

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Thanks for the help, but that's the beauty of WDF that when writing filter driver, I do not need to worry about PNP (this is what I think with my driver development knowledge of  0.000000000001%).

will create a video and post it here, may be that might be of help.

Full Error is Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

Yes without a compatible id and a dummy hardware id, the filter driver is a mockup, but the problem is that it works without compatible id. Even Add New Hardware Wizard allows to install such inf with a warning that device might stop working.

thanks for the help, will post some more details.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:48 PM
  • The add new hardware wizard is creating a new virtual device, it is not adding your filter to an existing device. Yes, KMDF removes the need to understand pnp directly. I am telling you the KMDF callbacks that are invoked in the pnp and power up path that will lead to a code10

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:21 PM
  • yeah, got it

actually my filter driver contained below line for the registry addition and hence I assumed that the inf will add filter

HKR,,"UpperFilters",0x00010000,...

thanks for the help once again, help from you guys is much more than I can demand / imagine

back to drawing board.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:44 PM