Touchscreen related problems RRS feed

• Question

• I've just started to use my Build Developer Preview tablet and I believe that there is a problem with the touchscreen, with any type of touch. I get false touches down the edge of the screen or elsewhere on the screen for over 50% of the touches and then the device will randomly emit touches and swipes all over the screen without any sort of input. I can't even type in my password without having letters on the other side of the keyboard being falsely sensed by the device.

I've reset the OS and BIOS several times to no avail, I've left it off overnight in order to ensure that it was at its coolest with the same results.

Are there any diagnostics or similar that I could use to determine whether the problem is hardware (which I think is more likely) or software related?

Any assistance in the matter would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Will

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry to hear you are having those issues from the get-go will_robertson.  :c

I noticed you mentioned that you reset the OS.  Did you run the "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" option?  Or did you go ahead with the "Reset your PC and start over"?

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:43 PM
    Answerer
  • I ran both, without affecting your files the first time and a full blown reset the second time. With neither of those working I then completed a full reset for a second time from the diagnostics boot menu (It must have taken me ~20 times to have the password inputted correctly).
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Sounds like you are having issues with the hardware.

Please go ahead to the Windows Developer Preview support site to begin the process on exchanging your unit.  Thanks.

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Try unplugging the AC adaptor; I've noticed it can sometimes disturb the touch screen in the way you describe.

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:30 AM
  • The device has been replaced - the hardware failure happened in both with and without the AC adapter being attached.

I would suspect that having the touchscreen act in the way that you are describing, i.e. only when the AC adapter is attached, would be a hardware issue in its own right.

Monday, October 24, 2011 2:49 PM