none
Server 2016 Hyper-V manager unresponsive after VM guest OS is restarted RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if my wording will bring a quick answer, but here goes...I have 4 2016 servers installed and running.  On three of them, just using 2016 Standard.  On the last one 2016 Datacenter (it is my Hyper-V host for several VM guests).  I have run into nothing but problems keeping my Hyper-V hosts running after I restart a guest OS (whether for updates or other reasons).  When I restart the guest OS, either the 2016 host stops responding completely, or I am no longer able to access the Guest OS remotely.  In some cases, killing the VMMS process or the VMMSCompute process results in that process saying that it can't be stopped.  Using taskkill, I'm able to eventually kill the process, but then can't restart it.  Only way to fix it is a reboot of the whole server.  Are there any settings that should or should not be enabled in Guest OS's running on a 2016 host that I am not aware of?  My 2012r2 running Datacenter has no such problems.  Was hoping to take advantage of the newer 2016 OS, but it's giving me more headaches than it's worth.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Jesse

Monday, March 5, 2018 9:33 PM