none
[RDPBCGR] What library you use for RC4() and InitRC4(). RRS feed

• Question

•  Thanks John,

That helps  a lot.

I still have one question for you. The following red words quoted from your last reply.
            S-TableEncrypt = InitRC4(TempKey128)

RC4 is then used to encrypt TempKey128 to obtain the new 128-bit encryption key.

NewEncryptKey128 = RC4(TempKey128, S-TableEncrypt)

Finally, the associated RC4 substitution table is reinitialized with the new encryption key (NewEncryptKey128) which can then be used to encrypt a further 4096 packets.

S-Table = InitRC4(NewEncryptKey128)
    What library you use for RC4() and InitRC4(). I only found the RC4() in "openssl/rc4.h". But there is no definitiion for InitRC4(). Where can I find the definition of InitRC4()? Any library could I use for it?

Thanks,
    Bill

Monday, December 15, 2008 7:38 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Bill,

InitRC4() is not a function name, it’s just pseudo code to point to the fact that you need to initialize the table as stated in the RC4 algorithm description that you can find in the book that’s referenced in the section posted by John.

What is important to remark (the main purpose of the portion of the text that you highlight) is that in this particular case the key needs to be the NewEncryptKey128 (another pseudo code name) obtained from the previous operation.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Thanks!

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT Senior SEE Protocol Documentation Team
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:07 PM

All replies

•   Hi Bill,

I'll be helping you out with this question.

In order to have an easier interaction, I've spun out this question from the follow up on John's response from your previous question.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:22 PM
  •  

Hi Bill,

InitRC4() is not a function name, it’s just pseudo code to point to the fact that you need to initialize the table as stated in the RC4 algorithm description that you can find in the book that’s referenced in the section posted by John.

What is important to remark (the main purpose of the portion of the text that you highlight) is that in this particular case the key needs to be the NewEncryptKey128 (another pseudo code name) obtained from the previous operation.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:07 PM