none
how to create a Setup with folder permissions in Vista and windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I created a set up (msi) for a WPF application and I faced a problem that , the folder permission(C Drive) of the VISTA and Windows 7 doesnt allow my application to create logs and other important files which i have programmed to create on the application folder. 

I somehow want the setup to make the folder writable, as one of the dlls I use needs to create log files and also I have programmed to create some files on run time.

PS: I dont get any errors during the installation  and I executed the set up as Administrator
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:54 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You may run the applicaiton as Administartor to see if it helps.(Right-click the executable file, choose Run as Administrator).

You may post your issue on the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) Forum or ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects Forum so you can get better and quicker repsone as this fourm here is for the setup of .net framework.

Thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:12 AM
  • There are many folders on the system (like the Program Files folder) that have always been restricted to admin access, even on XP. The difference on UAC systems is that even if you are admin you are not RUNNING with admin prvileges unless you elevate your program. Running from an administrator prompt is one way. The usual way is to give your app an elevation manifest so that it asks for elevation.  That's the normal, accepted right thing to do, not try to unsecure those directories.  Without an elevation manifest you will probably run into other issues anyway.
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:30 PM

All replies