none
Have had K4W V2 since it came out wont connect to Xbox one x RRS feed

• Question

• Have an xbox  360 and my kids love kinect V1 , so xbox one s upgrade was an obvious christmas present.

I also have a Kinect V2.0 for windows which I have had since they came out to do little windows Development on it.

Today, Christmas day, thought i would fire up the new Xbox one s with sports rivals and use my Kinect V2.0 but the xbox doesn't recognise it. It has the USB adapter and I have just connected it to my laptop via USB with the windows SDK and the Kinect works fine, all sensors. It's just the xbox doesn't recognise it. Not even a light at the front, Any thoughts?? I tried the usual cycling on and off, connecting things in different orders etc, no joy.

Is the windows USB adaptor the same one required for the xbox and if not why not?

Thoughts, I have a tribe of very disappointed small people.

Paul

Monday, December 25, 2017 5:53 PM

All replies

• Kinect for Windows is just for Windows. No matter the version. Hence the "for Windows"

The Xbox version is the only one which can be used both ways(using the Adapter on Windows).

Monday, December 25, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, you wouldn't happen to know why it's only for windows? It doesn't make sense to create a second set of hardware (although understandable to create a different cover without the logo), not that MS is renowned for making sense.

Second question. If I buy a 2nd hand xbox one kinect sensor would I be able to use my kinect for windows adaptor to plug it into my xbox one S or would I need a new kinect sensor and new adaptor cable?

Paul.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Alas, they did. And at some point they also stopped manufacturing the "for Windows" version due to it being a bad idea. So they just continued manufacturing individual adapters for the Xbox sensors. The two sensors are identical in what they provide but there are probably some differences in things like drivers perhaps that would make it possible for incompatibilities. But then again this is just conjecture. I only know that the Xbox version is more versatile since that's what was left after the discontinuation of the "for Windows" versions and stuff I've read in older threads(perhaps by K4W staff).

I'm not an owner of Xbox One nor OneS so I'm not sure 100%, but as far as I know the "for Windows" adapters were meant for PCs , not the consoles. The console should only need the sensor itself. Which is why I said it might be a driver issue.

Also when you say the adapter "for Windows". I'm guessing you refer to the standalone adapter. Not the adapter part of the Kinect for Windows v2 package, which also contains a sensor. Because if you do, I'm not sure if its usable. As far as I know only the standalone adapter can work with the Xbox sensor. And the adapter must be a v2 adapter.

Honestly, it's been such a pain trying to differentiate between sensor versions, between Console and PC etc, when talking to others. MS screwed up big time in that respect. So many posts in here which stem from version/naming confusion.
    Friday, December 29, 2017 1:04 PM