Commenting out code in your application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1188570427 posted

Is it BAD to leave commented out code in your code base when you check files into source control?  Is this a STIG?  I know Unused code is a STIG, but how about commented out code - say to leave for a future developer IF they need that functionality eventually?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:36 PM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

If using a source control system you could perhaps just leave a comment telling about what and when it was removed rather than really leaving the code ? If the code is needed it could be then retrieved from the scs ?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:45 PM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

Is this a STIG?

What do you mean with a STIG? The first thing a search left me was the mysterious driver of Top Gear (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig) but my guess is you mean something else.

For projects I'm working on I leave commented out code. Perhaps I need to uncomment them some reason in the future or while in development it can be handy to see what was the history of some method.

However I also have a backlog item near the end of the sprint or after delivery of the product to clean out these commented out things (after taking a delivery-branch of the code at that moment).

Kris.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:47 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Not sure really how it is related to security. I would say that it highly depends on what this code does (as in practice what the code you are removing  does will likely play a high role in keeping it as a comment or deleting it without even wondering).

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:51 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

I guess you have never been in a satiation where code is being maintenance  by multiple developers, a  developer was too lazy or scared to delete out code that was no longer viable, and they just commented it out. There is nothing worst than seeing commented out code that should have been deleted out of the solution, which should have been deleted out.

That's why solutions like TFS and other code repositories when used with Visual Studio allow code comparison with a compassion tool so the developer can track code changes in the source code to identify code changes and with the ability to add comments on code check-in.  There is no reason to keep dead code commented out in the code base. 

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:38 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

If using a source control system you could perhaps just leave a comment telling about what and when it was removed rather than really leaving the code ? If the code is needed it could be then retrieved from the scs ?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:45 PM
  • User-1188570427 posted

Hi,

Yes, that is a valid answer... so I guess just point to what file possibly has the code in the source control history?

Also, do you know if there is a STIG for this?  I can't seem to find one.

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

Is this a STIG?

What do you mean with a STIG? The first thing a search left me was the mysterious driver of Top Gear (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig) but my guess is you mean something else.

For projects I'm working on I leave commented out code. Perhaps I need to uncomment them some reason in the future or while in development it can be handy to see what was the history of some method.

However I also have a backlog item near the end of the sprint or after delivery of the product to clean out these commented out things (after taking a delivery-branch of the code at that moment).

Kris.

• User-1188570427 posted

Hi,

tvb2727

Is this a STIG?

Kris.

Here is what a STIG is: http://blog.vaulted.io/what-is-a-security-technical-implementation-guide-stig

I agree with your thought process.  Since it is commented out code, it should not be compiled.

Just trying to find if leaving it in is a STIG violation or not.  If it is: what level?  Cat 1, Cat 2 etc?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:14 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Not sure really how it is related to security. I would say that it highly depends on what this code does (as in practice what the code you are removing  does will likely play a high role in keeping it as a comment or deleting it without even wondering).

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:51 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

I guess you have never been in a satiation where code is being maintenance  by multiple developers, a  developer was too lazy or scared to delete out code that was no longer viable, and they just commented it out. There is nothing worst than seeing commented out code that should have been deleted out of the solution, which should have been deleted out.

That's why solutions like TFS and other code repositories when used with Visual Studio allow code comparison with a compassion tool so the developer can track code changes in the source code to identify code changes and with the ability to add comments on code check-in.  There is no reason to keep dead code commented out in the code base. 

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:38 PM