none
Import Access data into Excel using excel parameter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using below code and query in excel to connect to access database and run sql query by providing a parameter in my code but query is returning nothing except headers.

Sub ImpData1()
    Dim cn As Object
    Dim rs As Object
    Dim strFile As String
    Dim strCon As String
    Dim strSQL, strInput As String

strFile = "C:DB.accdb"

strCon = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; Data Source=" & strFile

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    cn.Open strCon

strInput = "JOHN SMITH"

strSQL = "SELECT [MYQUERY_1].* FROM [MYQUERY_1] WHERE [MYQUERY_1].PERSONS_Full_Name=""strInput "";"
    Debug.Print strSQL

'Added the following four lines
    Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.RECORDSET")
    rs.ActiveConnection = cn
    rs.Open strSQL

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
      For i = 1 To rs.Fields.Count
        .Cells(1, i).Value = rs.Fields(i - 1).Name 'fields is a 0 based collection
      Next i
      .Range("A2").CopyFromRecordset rs
    End With

rs.Close
      cn.Close
    Set cn = Nothing

End Sub

If i provide value in where  clause as per below query than sql query runs properly

strSQL = "SELECT [MYQUERY_1].* FROM [MYQUERY_1] WHERE [MYQUERY_1].PERSONS_Full_Name=""JOHN SMITH "";"

How shall i put double quotes in my first query for strInput?

Thanks,

Zav

Sunday, September 13, 2015 10:15 PM

Answers

• >>>How shall i put double quotes in my first query for strInput?

You should include single quotation marks in the criteria argument in such a way that when the value of the variable is concatenated into the string, it will be enclosed within the single quotation marks. For instance, suppose your criteria argument must contain a string variable called

strName

You could construct the criteria argument as in the following example:

"[LastName] = '" & strName & "'"

When the variable strName is evaluated and concatenated into the criteria string, the criteria string becomes:

"[LastName] = 'Smith'"

So you could modify your code refer to below:

'strSQL = "SELECT [MYQUERY_1].* FROM [MYQUERY_1] WHERE [MYQUERY_1].PERSONS_Full_Name=""strInput "";"

"SELECT [MYQUERY_1].* FROM [MYQUERY_1] WHERE [MYQUERY_1].PERSONS_Full_Name='" & strInput & "';"

For more information, click here to refer about How to: Include Quotation Marks in String Expressions

• Marked as answer by zaveri cc Monday, September 14, 2015 1:21 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• >>>How shall i put double quotes in my first query for strInput?

You should include single quotation marks in the criteria argument in such a way that when the value of the variable is concatenated into the string, it will be enclosed within the single quotation marks. For instance, suppose your criteria argument must contain a string variable called

strName

You could construct the criteria argument as in the following example:

"[LastName] = '" & strName & "'"

When the variable strName is evaluated and concatenated into the criteria string, the criteria string becomes:

"[LastName] = 'Smith'"

So you could modify your code refer to below:

'strSQL = "SELECT [MYQUERY_1].* FROM [MYQUERY_1] WHERE [MYQUERY_1].PERSONS_Full_Name=""strInput "";"

"SELECT [MYQUERY_1].* FROM [MYQUERY_1] WHERE [MYQUERY_1].PERSONS_Full_Name='" & strInput & "';"

For more information, click here to refer about How to: Include Quotation Marks in String Expressions

• Marked as answer by zaveri cc Monday, September 14, 2015 1:21 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Thanks David, The solution works.
    Monday, September 14, 2015 1:21 PM