how to query assisted gps server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing a location based service on windows mobile using c#, I plan to use assisted gps (AGPS) but I can’t find any resource regarding

1. how to query the AGPS server

2. by my understand of the agps architecture every mobile server provider will have its own specific agps server, is there any standard defined for querying and getting the response

3. what kind of response will I get back from the agps server

Any kind of help would be really helpful ;)

hamid

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• How do you know you're receiving "non assisted gps signal"? I mean, there's no difference in the information coming from GPS and AGPS at all. It just what AGPS can get a lock faster and works under difficult conditions, sometimes even indoors.

If your device is equipped with AGPS it should work automatically. It might obtain approximate location from cell towers as you mentioned or it might use previous GPS lock to do that. Then it would automatically download almanac form the server and automatically use it.  

Example of that would be GPS unit in Black Jack 2 phone. In WM 6 version there was no assist, WM 6.1 version added GPS assist. There’s no difference at all except what 6.1 gets a lock in few seconds vs. about a minute for WM 6 version and 6.1 version gets a lock near windows while 6.0 can never do that.

So unless you're implementing AGPS driver (in which case you would know everything about it) you don’t need to do a thing to use AGPS.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies

•  

AFAIK you need to do exactly nothing. If your device has AGPS it would download lock information from appropriate server on its own and use it automatically.

If you want to do it yourself then you probably should add another important quotation:

4. What you going to do with it.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:08 PM
  • thank you so much for your reply, i am using assisted gps in a hybrid positioning system, the problem is that i can access the gps on my mobile, but that is non assisted gps signal i am receiving

to my understanding for my assisted gps to work i need to send the assisted gps server my cell id and in return it will send me the ephemeris parameters which i can feed to to my gps device to get a better TTF

please let me know if i am thinking on the right lines? and if so then what could be the solution
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:41 PM
  • How do you know you're receiving "non assisted gps signal"? I mean, there's no difference in the information coming from GPS and AGPS at all. It just what AGPS can get a lock faster and works under difficult conditions, sometimes even indoors.

If your device is equipped with AGPS it should work automatically. It might obtain approximate location from cell towers as you mentioned or it might use previous GPS lock to do that. Then it would automatically download almanac form the server and automatically use it.  

Example of that would be GPS unit in Black Jack 2 phone. In WM 6 version there was no assist, WM 6.1 version added GPS assist. There’s no difference at all except what 6.1 gets a lock in few seconds vs. about a minute for WM 6 version and 6.1 version gets a lock near windows while 6.0 can never do that.

So unless you're implementing AGPS driver (in which case you would know everything about it) you don’t need to do a thing to use AGPS.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:51 PM
  • thank you so much for reply and for helping me to clarify my concepts,

ok one last question, if my mobile has assisted GPS then by using the code given below, the information i will get will be through AGPS or GPS (whichever is available) , and i dont need to write any extra code to chose between GPS and AGPS

Gps g = new Gps(); 
    Gps.Open();
    double latitude = g.GetPosition().Latitude;
    double longitude = g.GetPosition().Longitude;
    gps.Close();

again thank you so much

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hi. I'm interest to.

For GPS device I'm do:

serialPort1.BaudRate = 4800;
     serialPort1.PortName = comboBox1.SelectedItem.ToString();
     serialPort1.Open();
     timer1.Enabled = true;

try
     {
     string data = serialPort1.ReadExisting();
     listBox1.Items.Add(data);
     }
     catch(Exception ex)
     {
     MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);
     }

can I use this code and take data from a-gps?

Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Hi Ilya Tumanov ,

i want to configure the AGPS in my windows mobile , how i can get LatLong from  the AGPS ?

please explain step by step , it s very urgent for me , for this AGPS can i add any dll ?

your help is very urgency for me .

Thanks in advance

venugopal

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:26 AM