Info Path Publishing Help RRS feed

• Question

• I am very new to InfoPath. So I purchase book InfoPath® with SharePoint® 2010 HOW-TO and Started Reading. I am on Chapter 2 where they show how to design InfoPath form, then  they show submitting form then they show Publishing Form. Here I am got stuck. I can submit form from InfoPath itself and it will submit to document library but when I go to document library form will not open and it gives errors. Then as per book when I click on add new document infopath form should open but it is not opening form that I created.

I forget to tell u that my SharePoint is installed on remote PC which is on my network only.  

Kindly somebody help me to solve my problem.  

Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:42 PM

Answers

• "I was having problem with publishing. I will tell you what exactly I did. I created Blank InfoPath form. Then I go File menu and Submit open for SharePoint Document Library. Then on the same time i press f5 and tested submit button it was going to library. Then I go to document Library I try to open it. I got error that it is The following location is not accessible, because it is in a different site collection."

Submit has nothing to do with publish, so this whole paragraph is very confusing.

Please don't change the question.  Is your first question answered?  You said "but now my question is" as if the question has changed.  I still don't know what the first question was.

There is no perfect way to publish forms.  You just go to File > Publish (not submit) > SharePoint Form Library > Paste in the URL of your site > DOcument Library > Update an existing form library or create a new one > you're done.

THere's really nothing to it, but there are also several different publishing methods for different purposes.  YOu have to clarify what you're trying to do.  The above instructions are for library form templates, which is what a "blank form template gives you.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, May 23, 2011 1:34 AM
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:43 PM

All replies

• We need a lot more information.  You said you submitted a form, but you never mentioned what your issue was with publishing.  Your thread title says you want publishing help, but you didn't say anything about having a publishing issue.  You had to publish the form template first before submitting a form, so if you submitted that form, then you must have published the template just fine.  You then said you got an error when opening the submitted form, but you didn't tell us the error?  Why not?  We can't fix an error without knowing what the error is.

What do you mean you clicked new but it's not opening the form you created?  The form you submitted would obviously not show up when you click new.  When you click new, you get a NEW form based on the form template you published.  I think one of the first things you need to do is refer to templates and forms separately - you can't use the term "form" for both.  THere is an XSN file, which is the form template.  This gets published to the form library or list.  Then, when you create a new FORM, it generates an XML file based on the XSN template.  In a list converted to InfoPath, there is no XML file, but rather a regular list item.  Nonetheless, the FORM TEMPLATE is the thing you design (XSN), and the FORM is the thing you fill out with data and submit to the list or library.

So, knowing the above, what is the issue?

Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:09 PM
  • I was having problem with publishing. I will tell you what exactly I did. I created Blank InfoPath form. Then I go File menu and Submit open for SharePoint Document Library. Then on the same time i press f5 and tested submit button it was going to library. Then I go to document Library I try to open it. I got error that it is The following location is not accessible, because it is in a different site collection.

Then I found the forum  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointinfopath/thread/a75c3ba8-b41a-4c44-abc4-49a3dde68b1c . Tried all the thing it mention to publish it. All thing I was doing from remote PC where sharepoint was not installed.

Then I installed InfoPath on the Sharepoint Server. I deleted the my old web site in sharepoint created new one also created info path on the same pc and followed above URL steps.and it works out.

But now my question is as i was learning i could delete whole web site and create new site collection. So now can you guide me why and what is the perfect way to publish InfoPath forms. 

Thanking you for taking interest in replying.
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:59 PM
  • "I was having problem with publishing. I will tell you what exactly I did. I created Blank InfoPath form. Then I go File menu and Submit open for SharePoint Document Library. Then on the same time i press f5 and tested submit button it was going to library. Then I go to document Library I try to open it. I got error that it is The following location is not accessible, because it is in a different site collection."

Submit has nothing to do with publish, so this whole paragraph is very confusing.

Please don't change the question.  Is your first question answered?  You said "but now my question is" as if the question has changed.  I still don't know what the first question was.

There is no perfect way to publish forms.  You just go to File > Publish (not submit) > SharePoint Form Library > Paste in the URL of your site > DOcument Library > Update an existing form library or create a new one > you're done.

THere's really nothing to it, but there are also several different publishing methods for different purposes.  YOu have to clarify what you're trying to do.  The above instructions are for library form templates, which is what a "blank form template gives you.

• Marked as answer by David HM Monday, May 23, 2011 1:34 AM
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:43 PM