Developer license on 32 bit PC - PowerShell CheckDeveloperLicense script error

Question

• I am trying to install a simple Metro app on a 32 bit PC with Windows 8 Developer Preview. Since you can only install VS Studio Express 11 on a 64 bit machine I have to use PowerShell to get the developer license needed for the Metro app to install. I am having a problem with the CheckDeveloperLicense example PowerShell script provided at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465430(v=vs.85).aspx . I get a response of CheckDeveloperLicense returned -2147023728, filetime is 12/31/1600 4:00:00 PM from the script. I didn't see any special notes for the AcquireDeveloperLicense method. I wrote a simple script and haven't been able to get it to start up the software terms dialog box as described in the Command-Line usage instrucions. Thanks for any help. Jeff
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:42 PM

All replies

• Not a solution but; I'm using Visual Studio 2010 on my 64bit machine.
    Exactly why wouldn't this work? I had no trouble installing it, nor with using it.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Hi Dylan,

I appreciate the reply.  I was able to install and use Win 8 Developer Preview and VS 2011 Express on my 64 bit desktop machine.  I also have the Win 8 32 bit Developer Preview installed on a netbook.  I created a simple Metro app from the templates and an application package to deploy it.  I copied the required files to the netbook and get an error when I try to install the Metro app, because there needs to be a developer license on any machine you want to run a Metro app on.  There is no problem on 64 bit, because the VS 2011 Express install process includes setting up a developer license.  VS 2011 doesn't install on a 32 bit machine, so the solution is supposed to be running a PowerShell script to invoke the WSClient.dll (Windows Store Client) to acquire a license http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465430(v=vs.85).aspx.

Since this is a Developer Preview, I am not expecting everything to work perfectly.  I have a feeling that I am not making the necessary connection to Windows Live to obtain the required certificate.

Thanks,

Jeff

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:13 PM