none
Creating a .app file for Office apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've created an office task pane app using just JQuery, javascript and HTML. Now I want to deploy this project on to the sharepoint site of our organization. I'm able to upload the whole folder as a zip file to the app catalog but instead I want an app file to be uploaded so that people can directly access it from the office application instead of downloading this code folder on their desktops and then using it in the application. I know that an app file needs to be created to achieve this, but the problem is that the project was not made in Visual Studio I have a licensed copy now though. how can I convert this existing project which was written using only javascript and HTML into a ".app" file that can be shared on the sharepoint site?

Kindly help.

Regards,

Sunil Menon

• Moved by Quist Zhang Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hi, Sunil

It sounds like you are trying to publish an app for Office, not an app for SharePoint. As a result, what you need to upload to the app catalog on SharePoint is not the .app file, but only the .xml manifest file. You will also need to deploy the app code (index.html, sunilsApp.js, styles, scripts, content, etc) separately to some internet/intranet location that all indended users have access to, and modify the .xml manifest to point to that new location for index.html.

Then you will need to add that catalog to the trusted catalogs in Word:

1. Open Word
    2. File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted App Catalogs
    3. Enter the URL of the app catalog on SharePoint where you have uploaded the manifest
    4. "Add catalog"
    5. Check the "Show in Menu" box
    6. Ok
    7. Close Word
    8. Open Word
    9. Make sure you're logged in with an ID that has access to the SharePoint tenant you're using (this is your Organization ID, for example, sunil@sunilandcompany.onmicrosoft.com)
    10. Insert > App for Office
    11. "Organization" tab

Let me know if you run into issues. Thanks!

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErikOlson Friday, March 8, 2013 3:43 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:49 PM

• Hi Everyone,

The problem has been solved now and im able to successfully add users to the sharepoint site. This was done by clicking on Add new users option on the dashboard page after logging in with the credentials.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sunil

• Marked as answer by Alu(ard Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:14 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alu(ard Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:13 PM

All replies

• I think what you want to do is create a new SharePoint app in your project.  In the SharePoint app, you can add your existing Office app (you'll see a Office App project item in the new item menu).  Then just deploy your SharePoint app and users will be able to use your Office App.  This works especially well with document libraries.  I haven't tried this procedure myself, but this is my understanding of how it works.

Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth | SP2 Apps

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds like you may want to looking into deploying your app (turning it into a .app as Corey mentioned) into a corporate catalog: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/apps/fp179933.aspx

Here's a link to evaluate if you should publish an app to the Office Store or to your company's own corporate catalog.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/apps/jj164070.aspx

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Jes

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Monday, March 4, 2013 7:35 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Thanks Corey and Jes,

i was able to create the .app file and ive uploaded it on the sharepoint in the apps for sharepoint option. Now theres just one more problem i.e im not able to get it displayed in the word application on the client machine.

I want the uploaded app to be shown in the featured section in Microsoft word, so that the end user can access this app from the options in the apps for office option in microsoft word.

I tried doing this by adding the office app uploaded by me in "apps for sharepoint"
    section into "add an app" option like given in the below link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161231

But this gave me the below error,

"Sorry, apps are turned off. If you know who runs the server, tell them to enable apps."

How do i proceed so that the app uploaded by me on the oraganizations sharepoint site is visible to the end users from microsoft word 2013 installed on their machines?

Monday, March 4, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

This question is a little out of scope of what we're able to assist with in this forum since we're primarily focused on topics around the Office Store. This looks like it may have more to do with system configuration.

Have you looked at the Troubleshoot section of this page? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/fp142366 It allows you to search.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jes

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Hi Jes,

Thanks for the reply. sorry if my question was not that
    clear, what i wanted is that, i've uploaded the app on the sharepoint
    site, my main objective now is to make it available in Microsoft word in
    the Apps for office section. so that people in my organization can use
    it.how do i do that?

Regards,

Sunil
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

I think what you may be looking for is How to: Publish task pane and content apps to an app catalog on SharePoint. Does that help?

You may want to look at that general area in the documentation for how to get this to work.

Thanks,

Jes

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

Yes you are right i was looking for that only, but there are still some confusions, and the areas that i'm getting stuck at are,

1. Right now i've uploaded the .app file to the app catalog in "apps for sharepoint option" whereas its written here  How to: Publish task pane and content apps to an app catalog on SharePoint. that we have to upload the app's manifest file.

2. If we have to upload the app's manifest file in the app catalog then where do we upload the app file? and what path has to be mentioned in the manifest file. Currently the path mentioned in the manifest file looks something like

D:/OfficeApp/index.html

3. How to add the catalog url, to the trusted app catalog options in Microsoft word, since i'm able to use this option for displaying apps in shared folders but im not able to add the "app catalog url" to the list in trusted app catalog.

I just want to be able to add my app catalog to microsoft word and display my app's in Apps for office option like its given in the screenshot in the link mentioned by you.

Currently im able to view my app in the shared folder section instead of the my organization section like shown in the link.

Regards,

Sunil

Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:34 AM
  • Hi, Sunil

It sounds like you are trying to publish an app for Office, not an app for SharePoint. As a result, what you need to upload to the app catalog on SharePoint is not the .app file, but only the .xml manifest file. You will also need to deploy the app code (index.html, sunilsApp.js, styles, scripts, content, etc) separately to some internet/intranet location that all indended users have access to, and modify the .xml manifest to point to that new location for index.html.

Then you will need to add that catalog to the trusted catalogs in Word:

1. Open Word
    2. File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted App Catalogs
    3. Enter the URL of the app catalog on SharePoint where you have uploaded the manifest
    4. "Add catalog"
    5. Check the "Show in Menu" box
    6. Ok
    7. Close Word
    8. Open Word
    9. Make sure you're logged in with an ID that has access to the SharePoint tenant you're using (this is your Organization ID, for example, sunil@sunilandcompany.onmicrosoft.com)
    10. Insert > App for Office
    11. "Organization" tab

Let me know if you run into issues. Thanks!

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErikOlson Friday, March 8, 2013 3:43 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what i
    wanted to do. i followed all the steps mentioned in ur post above, but
    i'm  getting the below error.

App Error

Whereas this app is working fine when run through the browser . What does this error mean?

Regards,

Sunil Menon

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Hi Sunil

When you say "this app is working fine when run through the browser", what do you mean? When you open the document from SharePoint in Excel Web app, you're saying the app works correctly? But in Excel 2013 (desktop version), you get this error? Are you signed in to Office with your Organization ID (where it says Sunil at the top of your screenshot, click on that and make sure it's not showing your Live ID (now called "Microsoft account).

Thanks!

-Michael

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Since the app was made using html and jQuery I used to test some of the changes in IE to test some functionalities, that's what I meant by running through the browser. There was apparently some mistake on my side since the app was not set up properly on the server. But now it is working fine.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help its working now. Now the only hurdle left is adding users to this account that I created i.e sunil@sunilandcompany.onmicrosoft.com , its not letting me add users from my company's email account . it says cannot add external users.

Im just trying to get my head around how to add new users since its not accepting any through active directory, and im not even able to add the email ids explicitly.

Because of this I've made the access to 'Everyone' right now but I want to specifically add some users.

do I need to create another account with the same company name as mentioned above? ill try to do that and see if it works.

Regards,

Sunil

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:27 AM

• Hi Everyone,

The problem has been solved now and im able to successfully add users to the sharepoint site. This was done by clicking on Add new users option on the dashboard page after logging in with the credentials.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sunil

• Unmarked as answer by Alu(ard Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:13 PM