TFS 2005 --> TFS 2008 in-place upgrade questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have a single server install of TFS (Sharepoint Services 2, sql 2005 database Sp1, IE6). Answer any questions you can:

1. I remember when installing TFS 2005 SP1 I had to "quiesce" the TFS server. Do I still need to do that before starting the in-place upgrade?

2. Can I upgrade sql 2005 to SP2 and not break TFS 2008? Any special config needed afterward?

3. Can I upgrade IE6 to IE7 withtout breaking TFS 2008? Any special config needed afterward?

4. I have often read that

>>>

You should check the event log for DCOM activation errors
                    afterwards as you may have to grant local activation to your
                    DOMAIN\tfsservice user for the IIS WAMREG Admin Service.

>>>

How do I do this?

5. As part of the TFS 2008 upgrade I want to upgrade from WSS 2 to WSS 3 (in-place). From reading this forum, the process seems a bit messy and the steps are not clearly articulated.  Does anyone know of a coherent document describing the full process (and when to do it in the TFS 2008 upgrade process.)

TIA,

Barkingdog

P.S. It looks to me like MS dropped the ball on this upgrade. Too many loose ends remain.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hello Andy,

TFS 2008 can work with WSS 2.0, when you upgrade TFS 2005 to TFS 2008. It doesn't automatically upgrade the WSS Server. You need to upgrade it manually.

And you need to upload the site templates for WSS 3.0 server.

Here are brief steps.

1. Check the templates on the WSS server.

a.  Login on the WSS server

b.  Open the cmd line window.

c.  Change to the folder <ProgramFolder>\common files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\bin

d.  Type stsadm -o enumtemplates to list all templates existing on the server, record it or print it.

It should return something like this with RTM 2005.

VSTS_MSFAgile - Language: 1033 - Site Template: _GLOBAL_#1 - Template Id: 1

VSTS_MSF_CMMI - Language: 1033 - Site Template: _GLOBAL_#2 - Template Id: 1

Use the  deletetemplate command to remove the old template.

stsadm -o deletetemplate -title VSTS_MSFAgile.

stsadm -o deletetemplate -title VSTS_MSF_CMMI.

More in http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/700c3d60-f394-4ca9-a6d8-ab597fc3c31b1033.mspx?mfr=true

Use the WSS command tool Stsadm.exe to add the template

Stsadm.exe -o addtemplate -filename "MSFAgile30.stp" -title VSTS_MSFAgile

Stsadm.exe -o addtemplate -filename "MSFFormal30.stp" -title VSTS_MSFAgile

The template files are in the folder,

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server\Tools\Templates

More usage of addtemplate in http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/700c3d60-f394-4ca9-a6d8-ab597fc3c31b1033.mspx?mfr=true

If you have any question please let us know.

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:33 AM
  • I just reset the passwords on the tfsservice and tfsreport domain accounts.  That fixed my problem.  So now I'm ready to upgrade to TFS2008.

Andy

Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Barkingdog,

1.I remember when installing TFS 2005 SP1 I had to "quiesce" the TFS server. Do I still need to do that before starting the in-place upgrade?

No, There is no quiesce while upgrading.

You can follow the latest installation guide of TFS 2008.

Here is the download link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=FF12844F-398C-4FE9-8B0D-9E84181D9923&displaylang=en

2. Can I upgrade sql 2005 to SP2 and not break TFS 2008? Any special config needed afterward?

Yes.

3. Can I upgrade IE6 to IE7 withtout breaking TFS 2008? Any special config needed afterward?

Yes IE7 doesn't affect the IIS on the TFS server.

4. I have often read that

>>>

You should check the event log for DCOM activation errors
                    afterwards as you may have to grant local activation to your
                    DOMAIN\tfsservice user for the IIS WAMREG Admin Service.

>>>

How do I do this? Here are brief steps

Open Component Services

Start-->Administrative Tools-->Component Services

Expand Component Services, Computers, My Computer, DCOM Config.  (Double Click)

Scroll down and find the application (IIS WAMREG Admin Service).

Right-Click-->Properties and select the Security tab.

Ensure that the Customize radio button is selected, and click Edit.

Add your service account - giving it launch and activate - and in some requirements - remote

launch / activate permission.

Restart IIS and continue on.

Thanks.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:25 AM
  • I'm in the same place as barkingdog.  The above answer is very helpful, but the installation guide really doesn't address WSS upgrade. I managed to get TFS2008 up and running on a new server, but I want to minimize downtime when I upgrade our existing TFS2005 environment.

Is removal of WSS-2 an option?

Thanks,

Andy

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Hello Andy,

TFS 2008 can work with WSS 2.0, when you upgrade TFS 2005 to TFS 2008. It doesn't automatically upgrade the WSS Server. You need to upgrade it manually.

Here are brief steps.

c.  Change to the folder <ProgramFolder>\common files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\bin

d.  Type stsadm -o enumtemplates to list all templates existing on the server, record it or print it.

More in http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/700c3d60-f394-4ca9-a6d8-ab597fc3c31b1033.mspx?mfr=true

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server\Tools\Templates

More usage of addtemplate in http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/700c3d60-f394-4ca9-a6d8-ab597fc3c31b1033.mspx?mfr=true

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:33 AM
  • I was getting set up to migrate from TFS2005 to TFS2008.  The docs say to have the passwords for the service account and the repors account.  Unfortunately, they were set up by a former co-worker.  I changed both passwords so I would know what they are.. Unfortunately, now my users are getting a Tf30331 error: HTTP Status 503 Service Unavailable.

No doubt this is because I changed the tfsservice password.  How can I get TFS2005 back up??

Thanks,

Andy

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I just reset the passwords on the tfsservice and tfsreport domain accounts.  That fixed my problem.  So now I'm ready to upgrade to TFS2008.

Andy

Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:20 PM
  • I upgraded TFS 2005 to TFS 2008, now on to WSS 3.0. I noticed that a WSS 3.0 SP1 is available. From the perspective of TFS 2008 is it OK to install that SP?

Barkingdog

Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Hello Andy,

Here are brief steps.

We have a distributed installation that involved 3 servers and the following three services on different servers: SQL, Sharepoint (MOSS 2007), and TFS 2008.  Because of the distributed installation I had to manually install the MSF templates.  I installed the wrong ones and couldn't figure out why I was getting a greation error.  After following these instructions I was able to get everything working.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I upgraded TFS 2005 to TFS 2008, now on to WSS 3.0. I noticed that a WSS 3.0 SP1 is available. From the perspective of TFS 2008 is it OK to install that SP?

Barkingdog

Any ideas on this question ?

- Michael
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:28 AM