none
VB .Net maximum arguments RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VB 6.0 DLL (developed by an outside source) which uses 85 arguments and I was not able to call it using VB 6.0 since VB 6.0 has a maximum 60 arguments limitation. Can I use VB .Net to call the VB 6.0 DLL and call all 85 arguments? If so, which version of VB .Net would be best to call the VB 6.0 DLL?

For what it's worth, out of the 85 arguments, 10 are inputs into the DLL, 75 are outputs out of the DLL.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

Vicken

Monday, October 22, 2018 9:26 PM

Answers

• A VB.NET method should be able to take this many and a good deal more. The only problem would be if the arguments were all large values e.g. huge strings and/or large numbers arrays etc. Memory on the computer running the app can make a difference also. Other downsides may include longer time to execute the method.

Best version of Visual Studio to try this with is the Community Edition.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Alex Li-MSFT Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicken_MSDN Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:11 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2018 11:21 PM

All replies

• A VB.NET method should be able to take this many and a good deal more. The only problem would be if the arguments were all large values e.g. huge strings and/or large numbers arrays etc. Memory on the computer running the app can make a difference also. Other downsides may include longer time to execute the method.

Best version of Visual Studio to try this with is the Community Edition.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Alex Li-MSFT Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicken_MSDN Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:11 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2018 11:21 PM
  • Thank you for your quick reply, so I have a VB 6.0 DLL that I want to call using VB.Net. Which VB.Net version should I use? I prefer using the latest VB.Net 2016 version, but if it won't work with the VB 6.0 DLL, then I'll use an older version. The question is, which version VB.Net should I use?

Thank you,

Vicken

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Thank you for your quick reply, so I have a VB 6.0 DLL that I want to call using VB.Net. Which VB.Net version should I use? I prefer using the latest VB.Net 2016 version, but if it won't work with the VB 6.0 DLL, then I'll use an older version. The question is, which version VB.Net should I use?

Thank you,

Vicken

Not certaint as the following I did many years ago, might have been VS2013. I used Interop Forms ToolKit. The following provides some insight into the toolkit.

What I do remember is

• For my task the toolkit worked perfectly.
    • I did not use any form capabilities of the toolkit, only used classes.
    • You need to install a runtime version on the computer it will run on.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:04 PM
  • "I have a VB 6.0 DLL (developed by an outside source) which uses 85 arguments and I was not able to call it using VB 6.0 since VB 6.0 has a maximum 60 arguments limitation."

That does not make sense. Does the dll run with vb6 or not? You mean you cant call from .net?

What is this wonderful thing and why are you using it. Do you own it?

Why not make your own thing in vb.net.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:04 PM