What's the recommended way to share data between default app instance and ie. ShareTarget instance?

Question

• The user can start to work on something in the main app and also launch the app as a ShareTarget Inside the ShareTarget I want to pick up some information about the thing the user works on the main app.

I would like this mechanism to be simple (no sockets or IPC) so I think file based information sharing would be the way to go?

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:03 AM

Answers

• use localfiles or localsettings depending on how much info you need?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:16 AM
  • localsettings... forgot about that :) Yeah, its just a number I need to remember.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:30 AM

All replies

• you mean the share that build into windows? that has its own contracts you can use  (send text, uri, images and files) its impossible to setup socket connections between apps on the same machine

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:06 AM
  • My app can be used normally and as a share target. The user can start working on "something" in the main app and then switch to another app and share, lets say a bitmap with my app as ShareTarget. Inside my sharetarget app instance I want to know what the user was working on at the moment in the main app.

I know I cannot use sockets, thats why I wrote "no sockets or IPC". Although, in my LOB scenario using client&server capabilities it would be possible to use sockets on the same computer.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:46 AM
  • use localfiles or localsettings depending on how much info you need?

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:16 AM
  • localsettings... forgot about that :) Yeah, its just a number I need to remember.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:30 AM