Confused - Need help figuring out Azure pricing for Web app RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small web app, which we want to have 200-300 users using in the next month or so.  It uses JQuery/Ajax/JSON very heavily, so the web server load should be minimal.  I mean, there will be lots of requests, but the data being received from and sent to the browser should be minimal.

Database-wise, we're using SQL Azure, and there's approximately 10 tables, in the database.  The largest table will have at most 20,000 records.  The 2nd largest would have at most 5000 records.  The 3rd largest would have about 3000 records, with the rest of the tables having fewer than 300 records.  I doubt the database size will exceed 2GB.

Blob storage usage is also pretty minimal.  We're talking probably 500 or so jpeg images, weighing in at an average of 75KB or so (for a total of about 3.750MB).

I know it's recommended to have 2 instances of web role running, so we'll do that.

So how do I plug this information into the Azure calculator to find out what options we should select, or how much we can expect to spend?  Am I missing anything?  I have no idea how to calculate bandwidth usage.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:36 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you know what to put into the calculator for Compute, Storage, and Database.

For Bandwidth, there's no charge for incoming data to the data center but you get charged for outgoing data. if you will be migrating an existing application and the load will remain about the same, you can turn on IIS logging (using IIS Configuration Manager) and configure it to capture Bytes Sent (sc-bytes). I describe how to do this and sum the results in this post.

If your app is new and you don't have empirical data to use as a basis, you can roughly model your bandwidth consumption by estimating the number of page hits per month you expect for your various pages and multiplying that by the page response sizes.

David Pallmann GM Application Development, Neudesic Windows Azure MVP

• Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:22 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 3:17 AM