Windows phone 8.1 - Xbox music bugs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I have a couple of bugs to report and was directed here by the windows phone support twitter account.

In the developer preview for Windows Phone 8.1, there are a couple of issues with Xbox music. Tested on a Nokia Lumia 1020:

1. Shuffling is not true shuffling

If you have a lot of music files on your phone, the shuffle feature does not shuffle properly. Random songs will be picked from around the first song the user selected in the list. For example if I choose a song with the title "boxing champ" the phone will only play random songs beginning with the letters A, B and C, and completely ignore songs later in the list.

2. Songs purchased through the store attempt to stream, even if there is a local copy

I have switched off streaming in the settings, but if I attempt to listen to a song file that I purchased through the store the phone will still attempt to stream the content through  the Xbox music service.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Default music hub/app is broken on so many levels to count. Slow, Clunky, No Tile or Lockscreen animations. MS should fire whomever is in charge of the app and bring back the Zune team to get things right.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Well, in general the music app is simply unusable. I'm interested to knowing if someone at Microsoft listens to music.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Agreed broken in almost every conceivable software related sense of the word. No artist lock screen, performance is terrible to the point some people with large lists are unable to open the application it just crahses, no direct access to the FM radio, meta tags still broken the list goes on.

Just check out the comments below.

http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-music-awful-windows-phone-81-update-near

They need to do a quick about face and bring back hubs. Why is games now listed separately, no ability to open a photo in other photo apps like the 8.0 hub. Know a couple people who already wiped their devices and reset back to 8.0

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:30 PM
  • the stop needs major work. It's slow and constantly has to update its lists. The live tile is dead and the usability of the app is nonexistent. I understand the benefits of spreading it from the OS but this gives people the wrong impression of a windows phone. The app constantly stutters when playing songs and is extremely slow to load on a Lumia 1520. I miss the recently played and added column it was useful because you typically want to play you r new songs more often than the older ones. Please update quickly and fulfill the rapid development promise made when separating the app
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:52 PM
  • I agree, this app is truly awful. It is a collosal step backward from the Music & Video hub (which wasn't all that amazing).

I posted a thread on answers.microsoft.com about the metadata disaster that this app revives (though it is worse this incarnation in that it sorts incorrectly and re-names things in addition to just showing the wrong artist images, etc.)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/the-xbox-music-metapocalypse-returns-in-wp81/5981d0b1-73b0-4d6b-8781-2120559035cd

I'm also at a loss to explain why the app needs a few seconds to re-load my collection (all stored locally - I turned off cloud) every time I enter. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

The shuffling thing is also making me crazy - it is more like a somewhat randomized sample.

Really, why is music always a nightmare after every update? I love the 8.1 update for everything else but this thing is beyond bad. After trying to use it all day yesterday and just ending up angry all the time, I pinned the "My Music" section of Nokia Mix Radio to my start screen and removed the Xbox Music app from there. Why can Nokia display my collection quickly, without metadata problems and give me what (so far) seems like real shuffle but Microsoft can't?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Is terrible indeed, a real disaster. I mean, this update was made by professionals, isn't?...

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:43 PM
  • I'm about to do it the same, but the thing is,when you don't have the last OS is for sure that your gonna be outdated with new apps. 

What Microsoft has to do, dismiss the 5 two five years old kid who has made this terrible update and give us a proper and adult-made update, fixing all the crap made. We want the animated tiles back NOW.

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Has anyone seen a bug in Xbox Music for dev preview Phone 8.1 were the app shows your music in the cloud but will not play it. Only gives an error message saying "Can't sign in at this time. Try again later." Obviously it is signed in to my account because I get my playlists, Radio stations, synced music, etc...

On Dev Preview 8.1

Lumia 925

Xbox Music Pass

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Hello Folks,
    We have been pushing a lot of users to use this forum for the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Program.  For any issue other then the Xbox Music Application I would likely continue to do so.  However, we do have a nice discussion going on our normal Windows Phone forums and some of the developers are actively participating in answering questions.  I would recommend taking this conversation to that thread and see what they have to say and get the latest updates on what is coming.

URL:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/xbox-music-windows-phone-81-developer-preview/0c807637-cb4c-4957-a81e-6cb86571501b

Thank you,
    Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Support Delivery Manager

• Marked as answer by Eli A Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:01 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:00 PM
  • Actually, the best place to work with things like this, since they are CONSUMER reports and not DEVELOPER reports, is uservoice (Also according to "Sir" Joe Belfiore, tweeted recently).  Head over to http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/ and search for ideas, and vote them up.  If your idea is new (I highly doubt it), add it.

Note: ideas like "it sucks" or " the old one was better" or "the developers are incompetent" are likely to be ignored.

-thanks
    -e

-- me --

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:50 AM
  • I was directed by support here too to so let me post my issue.

On my Lumia 1520 with 8.1 the following happens:

Sometimes When I'm playing music it shows Artist Pictures on the lock screen but most of the time it just doesn't show, I tried to restart but didn't work, some other times it just works by itself, i guess it must be a bug but not sure if its Xbox Music or the OS itself. Also other apps like Nokia MixRadio can't use the lockscreen either.

Also this is mostly a feature i want but still http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/suggestions/5844254-don-t-lock-screen-during-playback

• Edited by ecrodrigz Saturday, May 24, 2014 3:44 AM
    Saturday, May 24, 2014 3:34 AM
  • The "show artist playing" in lock screen settings doesn't work anymore, please update the windows phone 8.1 xbox music app to support this again, it was my favourite thing about the music hub!
    Saturday, May 24, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Issues :

1. When songs added to a playlist , it disappears after sometime

2. The option to sync music to cloud is grayed out..I want to disable the sync

3. I want to keep my local music without syncing

4. I want to see recently added music option

jaikanth

Sunday, May 25, 2014 8:34 AM
  • I have collection of more than 1500 songs on my Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview (8.10.12382.878) and after recent Xbox Music update (2.5.3929) on most of them (over 90%) the album art is missing whereas the album art was displayed correctly before update. In addition Nokia Mix Radio is showing album art without problems. All my music is in AAC format (MPEG-4). Please advice.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 11:11 AM
  • I too am having loads of problems with new Music App. The old Music+Video hub worked pretty well, within it's limitations, and at least did not effectively corrupt my personal music collection.

Issues (apart from overall slowness which is still appalling although has improved) are:

1. Sometimes will incorrectly match an album (which may be an own collection/non-published music), going as far as changing the artist's name and album art with something completely incorrect.

2. When sync'd from Windows Media Player to transcode down so that all till fit (32Mb 920 so limited space) and to take playlists across, some playlists go, others disappear (although still shown in Windows Explorer view of the phone).

3, Creating new playlists will often jumble up the tracks, duplicate tracks, etc. after setting up the playlist. So playlists are effectively useless on the phone as it stands.

All these issues NEED to be fixed as a matter of urgency. I do wonder whether this is all to do with the "real world" of users having their own collections which don't map well to XBox Music (an issue in itself) and wanting to simply copy them onto the phone either directly or sync them via Windows Media Player and use them directly, rather than going via Xbox Music. This use case is still absolutely critical to most users - and must "just work".

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:15 AM
  • WP8.1 .. shuffle off .. I choose song and it plays one after another and sometimes I skip some songs >>I

after 75 to 100 songs it plays the song I choosed first ( starts over )

Friday, May 30, 2014 11:32 PM
  • Is there a way to tell what information the Xbox Music app on the phone uses to match the albums to what is available in the store?

I had stopped using the Zune PC software after switching to Windows Phone 8 last summer. I started to notice that while my older music would show the artist wallpaper and related music in the Xbox Music Store, the newer music did not. I tried making the match in my Xbox Music app on my Windows 8 PC, but it didn't make a difference. I finally figured out that somehow the Zune software was making the match on my mp3's before they were transferred to my phone, so I started using it for music management on my computer again. I also have a third-party app called Zune Social Tagger that can verify what each album is matched to in the store (previously Zune Marketplace).

Even doing all prep work still does not match my music 100% of the time in the Xbox Music phone app. I still have a few albums where the album is clearly available on the Xbox Music Store, but will not show the album art in my collection.

I also noticed that if I have alternate recordings of the same song and use the 3rd-party Zune software to match both recordings to the same track if both versions are not available in the store, only one of them will show up on my phone even though the ID3 tags show that they are different track numbers or came from different CD's.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:40 AM