none
MSDN Universal & Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• It seems really an insteresting technology for building low-cost servers... at least if it would b possible to evaluate it... I've logged into my downloads page and I cannot see windows home server among the available ones.

Anyone knows if it will be available for MSDN Universal subscribers ? If not do you know how to obtain an evaluation copy (not time-limited) ?

TTA

Monday, November 5, 2007 8:27 PM

Answers

• This is what M$ says about the topic... is a concierge chat session:

17.37.04 System
    Initial Question/Comment: windows home server

17.37.10 System
    Connected with M$ Concierge

17.37.28 M$ Concierge
    Hello and welcome to the MSDN Online Concierge, carlop(). How may I assist you today?

17.37.39 carlop()
    Hi,I would like to know if my subscription (msdn universal) allows me to have a copy of windows home server

17.38.20 M$ Concierge
    Thanks for your inquiry. Please give me a moment to check on this.

17.39.37 M$ Concierge
    Thanks for your patience, carlop(). Our acquisitions team is working with the product group to
    include this in the MSDN offering. We expect it will be offered in the near future, but we do
    not have an estimate of availability so far.

17.40.46 carlop()
    Ok, thanks for the info... do you know a way to obtain an evaluation copy in the meantime ?

17.41.17 M$ Concierge
    One more moment, please. Let me double check on this.

17.44.01 M$ Concierge
    Thank you for waiting. Yes, Windows Home Server Trial version is available.
    Please visit this page to order the evaluation version.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx
    The DVD with the Windows Home Server Evaluation version costs €6.68.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 4:54 PM

All replies

• This is what M$ says about the topic... is a concierge chat session:

17.37.04 System
    Initial Question/Comment: windows home server

17.37.10 System
    Connected with M$ Concierge

17.37.28 M$ Concierge
    Hello and welcome to the MSDN Online Concierge, carlop(). How may I assist you today?

17.37.39 carlop()
    Hi,I would like to know if my subscription (msdn universal) allows me to have a copy of windows home server

17.38.20 M$ Concierge
    Thanks for your inquiry. Please give me a moment to check on this.

17.39.37 M$ Concierge
    Thanks for your patience, carlop(). Our acquisitions team is working with the product group to
    include this in the MSDN offering. We expect it will be offered in the near future, but we do
    not have an estimate of availability so far.

17.40.46 carlop()
    Ok, thanks for the info... do you know a way to obtain an evaluation copy in the meantime ?

17.41.17 M$ Concierge
    One more moment, please. Let me double check on this.

17.44.01 M$ Concierge
    Thank you for waiting. Yes, Windows Home Server Trial version is available.
    Please visit this page to order the evaluation version.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx
    The DVD with the Windows Home Server Evaluation version costs €6.68.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 4:54 PM
  • As a follow up on the online concierge information....

After further discussions between the Product Group and the Subscriptions Teams, Windows Home Server is NOT being added to MSDN Subscriptions at this time.

It might be added in the future, but it is not being included at this time.  

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:46 AM
  •  

Well that's just really bad news.  Microsoft is trying to foster an exciting development scene with WHS being extremely extensible, and then forces us to use time bombed evals for testing and on-going development?  Anyone who has done that in the past knows that it's a pain in the backside, especially for us hobbyist developers who don't have a huge amount of free time.  I for one won't be touching it until MS becomes more enlightened in this regard.

(Also, there a blog post which is still out there that says it's coming... you should really update it to reflect the current status...  http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions/archive/2007/10/08/product-availability-for-vista-sp1-xp-sp3-and-windows-home-server.aspx)

Thinking back, the same thing happened with Media Center when it was a separate product, and eventually MS relented....  let's hope you see the light this time too!

Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:42 PM
  • r -

Thanks for pointing out that the blog post has not been updated. I'll take care of that.

I don't know first hand what was behind the decision to not offer Home Server more broadly at this time, but I did hear anecdotally that there was interest in having more direct interaction with developers implementing this new product. If that was part of the decision, making it available to all MSDN Subscribers worldwide would make than a difficult task.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Just FYI, it's been an additional 3 months, and the Blog Post has been closed to new comments, but still has not been updated since last November.

Could we get an update here, or at least update the Blog Post to reflect the current disposition of WHS status?

Thank you.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 10:16 PM
  • There was a February 5th update which said:

2/5/08 Update: Thanks again for all of your feedback on the decision to not include WHS in MSDN Subscriptions. ALL of your feedback has been shared with the Product Group, and I believe they now realize that it would have been good and appropriate to have included it.

Unfortunately there are valid logistical issues which make reversing this decision at this time not possible since Subscriber volumes were not included in their original planning. At the point they have the opportunity to make this available, I believe they will have a much more deliberate discussion and I believe it will be made available based on your feedback and several follow up discussions with the Product Group.

As stated above, whenever the next version is ready to release, I believe the odds are good that it will be made available to subscribers.

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:33 PM