Windows 8 preview generates poor usage

All replies

• It is not for early adopters to test the system for usability. It is for software developers to test the extension points of the system, the system itself is not yet finished (e.g. no store). If you do not know what API is, this build is not for you. It is called "Developer Preview" for a reason.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:13 PM
  • It is not for early adopters to test the system for usability. It is for software developers to test the extension points of the system, the system itself is not yet finished (e.g. no store). If you do not know what API is, this build is not for you. It is called "Developer Preview" for a reason.

Yes, I know that, but you don't seriously expect end users to know that?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:17 PM
  • mmm, Microsoft said as such, when announcing the build. Incompetence in journalism is not Microsoft's fault, the reporter should know that.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:20 PM
  • it is MS fault. MS should simply release a full product, not such an unuseable Preview, so that you can start using and developing for it.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:36 PM
  • it is MS fault. MS should simply release a full product, not such an unuseable Preview, so that you can start using and developing for it.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

By all indications, Windows 8 is behind schedule. 

I was listening to the Windows Weekly podcast, and Paul Thurrott says that Microsoft told him that the developer preview given out at BUILD was going to be feature complete.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  If you recall, Microsoft canceled day 0 of BUILD and didn't even announce a schedule until you got there. 

During Sinofsky's keynote, there's this shocking moment when he attempts to show off a feature, and Julie Larson-Green (I believe that's her name) screams out "No!" to stop him from doing the demo.  He laughs it off (as a good salesman should) but the fact they didn't even know which demos would work and which ones won't until during the presentation shows how disorganized everything was. 

Can you imagine Bill Gates giving a keynote and having someone scream out "No!" to stop him from doing a demo?

Microsoft was supposed to have beta 1 ready for CES but now they're saying late Febuary.  Will it be feature complete?  I hope so.

Rumor has it that Windows 8 for ARM is dropping the desktop mode.  If true, I don't know whether that's a marketing decision or they need to drop the feature because they're behind schedule.  At Build, the ARM tablets were on display, but from what I understand, no one was allowed to touch them.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Feature complete before giving out new API? Sorry but this is not Apple we are talking about. Microsoft does not control what system builders and software programmers throw at it. Just look at this forum and you will see how many prople are waiting for hardware producers to release updated drivers to make their network/video card/sound work.

Software takes time to write, you know. It took Microsoft 3 years to release a full Vista-compatible version of Visual Studio. It would be a disaster if developers do not get access to the APIs before customers. Do you really want programmers start releasing Windows 8-compatible software and driver after SP1 or even SP2?

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:45 PM