Auto Generate InfoPath Form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have a question, is it possible to do the following:

1. Infopath form with textbox control pulling accountnumber from database, then generate barcode automatically,

2. Running some sort of form creation script/job, for example, at night, then generate says, a hundred forms with their respective account number and lookup field, then send to the printer to print it out.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:36 AM

All replies

• It seems possible, but a lot of work.  What's the business requirement?  Maybe something else would be easier?

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. We suggest infopath to one of our customer which right now is on office xp, this is part of their daily operation:

Currently they have paper based blank form in Microsoft word with textbox/check box, there is also database which store their account number, so every day, there are new account number captured in the database, they use barcode software to print out all daily account number, along with the barcode in strip of paper, then put it on the empty form. Then their front desk people can fill out the form with rest of the information.

I suggest them to use infopath service or form server, but I would like to know if infopath can accomplish these first:

1. Does infopath can generate bar code or customer need to purchase barcode from third party.

2. Most importantly is it possible we can create background script/job to auto geneate infopath
    form with pre populated field such as account number from database, along
    with barcode, then setup job at night to print out all forms.

3. I know you want to say why they want to print out the form in hard copy, their thinking is we need to show infopath can make the current process more efficient, then next step I can talk to them about infopath service.

4. I understand there is form server, does it require Wss

Any pointers are helpful

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:45 PM
  • 1. Infopath does not generate bard codes out of the box, so you would have to code it or locate a 3rd party. 

2. You can definitely create an infopath form.  Depending on the details of the form, it could be easy or very complex.  Given that it seems only a customer number varies, it may be very simple to do it following a template approach.  What you describe here feels a lot like an MS Word mail merge though and may be better.

3. I understand.

4. There is a forms server product separate from WSS.  I have never ordered it, so I don't much other than the fact that I've seen a CD with that name on it.  I assume it costs more than WSS but less than MOSS Enterprise.

HTH,

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:13 AM
  • Regarding the reply to on #4, my understanding is that the Forms Server has been discontinued and is replaced by MOSS Enterprise.
    Tom Castiglia Hershey Technologies

Tom, the thread was from over 2 years ago when Forms Server was still relevant, but yes, Forms Server is no longer is sold.  However, it was not replaced by MOSS Enterprise.  They both existed concurrently until MS decided last year to discontinue and no longer offer Forms Server as a separate product to add on to WSS 3.0 and MOSS Standard.  Instead, we only have Forms Services, which is only included in MOSS Enterprise (same for 2010 with Server Enterprise).
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:49 PM