none
How to Encrypt Excel Connection String while connecting it to SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am pulling data from SQLServer into Excel. I want Connection String To be encrypted. When I go to Data->Connection properties and click on save Password , I am  able to see the password. Can any one Suggest me how to encrypt password. Any of the way is feasible either through macors or though any internal propertis of excel.

Suggestion are highly appreciable 

Saturday, March 26, 2016 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Abhishek,

Based on the description, you want to encrypt the password in the Excel for connect to the SQL server. As far as I know, we are not able to encrypt the password for the build-in feature for the data connection.

As a workaround, we may consider import the data through the macro and protect the macro to prevent that the end-user retrieve the password information.

Here is an helpful article for your reference:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/892700

And if you are interested about data connection or user management for the SQL server, you can discuss it in SQL forum.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 28, 2016 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Abhishek,

Based on the description, you want to encrypt the password in the Excel for connect to the SQL server. As far as I know, we are not able to encrypt the password for the build-in feature for the data connection.

As a workaround, we may consider import the data through the macro and protect the macro to prevent that the end-user retrieve the password information.

Here is an helpful article for your reference:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/892700

And if you are interested about data connection or user management for the SQL server, you can discuss it in SQL forum.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 28, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Hello Fei Hue,

Your Information was useful.

Thank you for replying.

Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:29 AM