none
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have a problem with my developed Windows Services written in .NET 3.5. When I try to run them on Windows XP, I get the Error 1053. I even have created empty service, it still cannot run on that machine (but it is able to start on Windows 7 and some other Windows XP machines).

If somebody had similar problem a would be happy to hear your thoughts or solutions. 

Event log has following message "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the VizAvidFrontendService1 service to connect."

OnStart method is empty, just empty service.

(yes, I was doing a lot of Internet searching before asking that question, but didn't find any suitable solution)

Thanks

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Empty service, like just compile and deploy the windows service template from Visual Studio?

Does it have references to 3rd party components? 

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Yes, just compile, create setup project for it and deploy. No 3rd party components.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:46 PM
  • It seems it may be setup issue afterall since you mentioned it works on some XP.

If you have one XP machine it works on and this where it doesn't you can do the .NET installation verification tool and see if you see a difference. Maybe there is something broken on that machine.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

I'll move the thread back to setup forum...

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Verification tool did not detect any errors.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Is there much difference in installed software between XP where it works and where it doesn't work?

I can't think of any more reasons or what to check at the moment.

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi vladislavm,

Based on your description, the .NET Framework could be verified correctly, and this application could work on other Windows XP machines. Therefore, I think this issue should be related with the test computer, or some programming issues.

Would you please let me know the program language you are using? So that I could help move your post to the appropriate developer forum for more efficient response?

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

there's quite difference set of software on these XP machines. So, it's not really possible to compare.

Hi Andrew,

yes, I think it is computer related issue, but I anyway need to fix it. The program is written on C#.

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Hi vladislavm,

Any updaes?

I would like suggest you try reboot your computer into Safe Mode, then try to run the service, can the service run?

Additionally, I find this article describes some custom configuration issue might cause the error, you can also check to see if it helps.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

still no updates on this. I have postponed this task for now.

I have read the article you provided, but don't think that's my issue. If configuration file would be wrong, service wouldn't start on any machine. But it runs just fine on some machine (one of them - completely clean Windows XP).

Still waiting for any thoughts about it (it's not easy to reboot these machine, since it uses a lot of users, but when I'll catch the moment, I'll try to boot in safe mode and start the service). 

Thanks

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Windows updates solved the problem.
    • Marked as answer by vladislavm Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:56 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Guys, I already fixed this problem. It works!

1.) Update/patch the .NET

2.) Change the Service account from Network System Account to Local System Account - 99% working!

3.) Clear the logs event in wsus

4.) Registry Changes

5.) Clean-up the WSUS in wsus console with this error. Perhaps SQL Express/ Free Dbase is already reach in full. MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE /

17137, SQL 2005 Express and MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE

6.) Repair  function of ASP.NET

• Proposed as answer by Pinoy Maximus Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Pinoy Maximus Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Pinoy Maximus Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:58 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 2:18 AM