none
Charging for SOAP request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to create a SOAP service and charge users each time they use it.  Is that possible?  How would I do it?

Also, would this be better done through ASP.NET Web Service?

Thanks,

Dave

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 3:51 PM

Answers

• Okay, I'll give it a try and let you know.

BTW, how secure is this?  If the calling site use SSL then I assume it's secure but if it doesn't then is the authentication information in clear text?

Thanks

You should be using SSL to encrypt the login credentials, then you can drop SSL out of the picture if you want.  
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 12:10 AM

All replies

• Also, would this be better done through ASP.NET Web Service?

Most likely a legacy asmx Web service would be suited for this.  You could use SOAP authentication, taking the user-id and psw and hitting a SQL Server table holding user-id and psw for validation and holding user usage information for billing.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/4398/Authentication-for-Web-Services-using-SOAP-headers

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:49 PM

BTW, how secure is this?  If the calling site use SSL then I assume it's secure but if it doesn't then is the authentication information in clear text?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:21 PM

Thanks

You should be using SSL to encrypt the login credentials, then you can drop SSL out of the picture if you want.  
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 12:10 AM