Admin access to files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created a Win7-64 image using the "application compatibility template".

Then I installed on target.

The image boots Ok but for some reason, when I want to change a file in c:\windows\system32,

Windows asks for a confirmation.

For example, in order to run: ewfmgr c:, I must open cmd with "Run as Administrator".

What is the reason for this ?

How can I set my user to have maximum admin access ?

Thank you,

Z.V

Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:27 AM

All replies

• EWFMGR.exe and the EWF API requires elevated Administrator privileges. The only reason I think MS implemented the API this way was to stop any or program from accidently changing the EWF state. 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Hi Sean,

When I created an image using the "application compatiblity template", the default user could create a file in c:\windows with confirmation only. 

When I did the same without any template, just adding the required components, no confirmation was required. 

Can you explain this ?

Thank you,

Z.V

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:56 PM
  • What was the shell to the system that there was no templates?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Not sure I understand your question.

Both images contain "Windows eplorer shell"

Thank you,

Z.V 

Monday, July 18, 2016 2:26 AM
  • When you have command prompt shell only, the cmd shell is in elevated mode already, and one can run ewfmgr.exe without being forced to change anything. Since Explorer shell is being used, then something else is going on.

Are you pulling in all the same packages as the application compatibility template?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Hi Sean,

In case of the small image I'm pulling less packages. But the same packages are contained in the application compatibility template.

Thank you,

Z.V

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:39 AM