Cannot connect to config db after changing farm account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I changed the farm account and after that i got error message when opening Central Administration. SharePoint site is still working.

"Cannot connect to the configuration database."

Any suggestions what to do?

Environment:
    Windows Server 2008 R2
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
    SP 2010 Standard

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:05 PM

Answers

• Restarted the server twice without making any changes and then it suddenly started to work again.

Don't ask me why it does, but I'm happy that it works again.  :)

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, November 25, 2011 6:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The new farm account needs to be a member of the requisite groups and have the correct permissions. This configuration may not have happened when you changed the account. Ensure it has the permissions listed below:

Farm service account

The server farm account is also referred to as the database access account and is used as the application pool identity for Central Administration, and as the process account for the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Timer service. The server farm account requires the following permissions:

• It must have domain user account permissions.

Additional permissions are automatically granted to the server farm account on Web servers and application servers that are joined to a server farm.

After you run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard, machine-level permissions include:

• Membership in the WSS_ADMIN_WPG Windows security group for the SharePoint Foundation 2010 Timer service.

• Membership in WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG for the Central Administration and Timer service application pools.

• Membership in WSS_WPG for the Central Administration application pool.

After you run the configuration wizards, SQL Server and database permissions include:

• Dbcreator fixed server role.

• Securityadmin fixed server role.

• db_owner for all SharePoint Server 2010 databases.

• Membership in the WSS_CONTENT_APPLICATION_POOLS role for the SharePoint Server 2010 server farm configuration database.

• Membership in the WSS_CONTENT_APPLICATION_POOLS role for the SharePoint Server 2010 SharePoint_Admin content database.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Thanks Jason for your reply.

The farm account is a domain user account.

After configuring it to be farm account it is member in those groups:
    WSS_ADMIN_WPG
    WSS_REGTRICTED_WPG_V4
    IIS_IUSRS
    Performance Monitor Users

SQL Server permissions are both dbcreator and securityadmin.
    db_owner for all SP databases.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Restarted the server twice without making any changes and then it suddenly started to work again.

Don't ask me why it does, but I'm happy that it works again.  :)

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, November 25, 2011 6:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:17 PM
  • FYI, an IISRESET is really all that's needed, not a reboot.

Phil Wicklund, http://philwicklund.com - My blog, with FREE web parts and SharePoint whitepapers

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:49 PM