none
Need help in developing a solution in SharePoint 2013

Question

• Hi,

I am not familiar with SharePoint solution developing. But know some basics of designing SharePoint forms using InfoPath.

There is an excel maintained for external customers visiting our executives regularly as per the appointments fixed. Now we wish to track if the appointment happened or not. 

So, we did made the excel to export to SharePoint list and now the excel appears in SharePoint 2013 as list.

Here we would like to create a solution like below,

1. Customized form linked to the above mentioned list, which can be shared with the customer for making them mark a record (Like Y/N).  The challenge here is the number of appointments differs among the external customers. Like some have 2 days continuous appointment others have 2 days this week and 2 days next week. So, every appointment must carry a separate record for the same customer. So, how can we capture those?

2. Need to link with some feedback form (in which there are about 5 questions) where the external customer provides their feedback by choosing poll rating. But this feedback form must carry some unique values from the first list in order to have accurate linking with external customer's. 

Will all the above possible using InfoPath alone? or should we need to go for any programming tool? please suggest. - Thank you!

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Radhai,

1. About the number of external customers’ appointments, you could store the number of the appointments and the external customers in one list, then get the value from the list in the form.

To get the value from the list, you could create data connection to connect SharePoint list in the form.

2. For the feedback form, to get the value from the list, you also could create data connection in the form.

To create data connection in the form, you could open the form->click data tab->data connection->Add->create a new data connection to receive data->next->SharePoint library or list->enter the url of SharePoint site->select one list.

After creating data connection, you can configure the data source of the controls from data connection.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

Creating Data Connection in Infopath.

http://www.sharepoint-journey.com/creating-data-connection-in-infopath.html

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Radhai Monday, January 02, 2017 7:02 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 7:24 AM
  • Hi Radhai,

Sorry for delayed reply.

If you edit the form in InfoPath, you could insert the Option button and specify the number of the option button in the InfoPath form.

After adding option button, type the option values next to each button manually, right click each option button and click option button properties, then enter the value when selected, in other words, you could specify the score for each option button.

Per my test in my InfoPath form, I add two groups of option button, one group option button is field1, and set the value of each option button as 5,7,8.

And another group option is field2 and set the value of each option button as 1,2,3.

then I add one textbox, and set the value of the textbox as field1+field2. Then in textbox, it will display the sum of the field1 and field2.

More references:

Insert a group of option buttons.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-a-group-of-option-buttons-8e09112c-fb08-47d3-8943-341b754db9f8

InfoPath Tip: Working with radio buttons and check boxes.

http://walisystems.com/articles/sps/radiobtns/infopathradiobuttons.htm

InfoPath more than two radio buttons in SharePoint 2013.

http://www.enjoysharepoint.com/Articles/Details/infopath-more-than-two-radio-buttons-in-sharepoint-2013-20951.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Radhai,

1. About the number of external customers’ appointments, you could store the number of the appointments and the external customers in one list, then get the value from the list in the form.

To get the value from the list, you could create data connection to connect SharePoint list in the form.

2. For the feedback form, to get the value from the list, you also could create data connection in the form.

To create data connection in the form, you could open the form->click data tab->data connection->Add->create a new data connection to receive data->next->SharePoint library or list->enter the url of SharePoint site->select one list.

After creating data connection, you can configure the data source of the controls from data connection.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

Creating Data Connection in Infopath.

http://www.sharepoint-journey.com/creating-data-connection-in-infopath.html

Best regards,

Sara Fan

• Marked as answer by Radhai Monday, January 02, 2017 7:02 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 7:24 AM
  • Hi Sara!

Thanks for your help! I would try out that :)

Could you also help with poll rating for the questions? like, lets say we will give radio buttons for scores.

The radio buttons should function like scores (1,2,3,4). So for each question there should be only one response i.e only 1 radio button is selected and that assigned value must be recorded for that questions. Will this too be possible? kindly let me know .- Thank you!

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Friday, December 16, 2016 10:19 AM
  • Hi Radhai,

Sorry for delayed reply.

If you edit the form in InfoPath, you could insert the Option button and specify the number of the option button in the InfoPath form.

After adding option button, type the option values next to each button manually, right click each option button and click option button properties, then enter the value when selected, in other words, you could specify the score for each option button.

Per my test in my InfoPath form, I add two groups of option button, one group option button is field1, and set the value of each option button as 5,7,8.

And another group option is field2 and set the value of each option button as 1,2,3.

then I add one textbox, and set the value of the textbox as field1+field2. Then in textbox, it will display the sum of the field1 and field2.

More references:

Insert a group of option buttons.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-a-group-of-option-buttons-8e09112c-fb08-47d3-8943-341b754db9f8

InfoPath Tip: Working with radio buttons and check boxes.

http://walisystems.com/articles/sps/radiobtns/infopathradiobuttons.htm

InfoPath more than two radio buttons in SharePoint 2013.

http://www.enjoysharepoint.com/Articles/Details/infopath-more-than-two-radio-buttons-in-sharepoint-2013-20951.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Thank you Sara!! :) 

Monday, January 02, 2017 7:02 AM