Windows Phone 7 Bluetooth Support/API RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was looking for bluetooth API to develop a bluetooth related application. But after some research I have found out there is no bluetooth API in current release of SDK nor 3rd party SDK for bluetooth. So I just want to check when there is an support for bluetooth added? Is there a planning or not ? Thank you so much.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:00 AM

All replies

• Microsoft do not usually release timelines of when new support will be added to the SDK.  It may be added.  We do not know when.
    • Proposed as answer by DaleHeke Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DaleHeke Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:52 PM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Microsoft do not usually release timelines of when new support will be added to the SDK.  It may be added.  We do not know when.
    It is hard to find out an official release or information as well :(As andriod has already got standard bluetooth API, I am suggesting it should be included in windows phone 7 SDK as well.Thx for answering me.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:15 AM
  • The main question is how long will we have to wait. We have an existing WM 6.5 application, for which the Bluetooth functionality is crucial. Lack of Bluetooth API is the main hindrance for us to migrate this application to WP7. It's getting more and more difficult to find WM devices for our customers, because all the major manufacturers stopped making new devices with WM. We can wait a few more months, but if Microsoft aren't planning to release Bluetooth API this year we'll have to migrate to Android (which will take much longer, because we have no experience with Java and Android API). I'm not asking for an exact date, but more if there is a plan for implementing this functionality in the next year.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Kamen,

The only planned release this could come out in would be the Mango release, which is scheduled for either the end of this year or the beginning of 2012.  This is no guarantee that a bluetooth API will be in that release, however.  Given your timeline (a few months), you probably shouldn't wait for it.

James
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Why not do the Android port now and the WP7 port when the functionality is available?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:41 PM
  • If we make an Android port, WP7 port would become meaningless. Our application is a buisness application and if we have if for a platform with so many devices available on the market as Android we'll ask our customers to get android devices. Unfortunately we never expected that microsoft would so radically abandon Windows Mobile. We have no experince with Java, but only with .NET and that's why we're trying to avoid migration to Android. @James Ashley: If there is a chance Bluetooth API to be available by the end of the year, or even in the beginning of the next one I suppose that we'll be able to wait until then. When are we going to get information on what will be added in this Mango release?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:22 AM
  • When are we going to get information on what will be added in this Mango release?
    I would keep my eye on the news coming out of MIX11 next month. 
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:19 PM
  • We have developed a Diabetes management ecosystem and mobile apps for the over 1 Billion people worldwide diagnosed with Diabetes that lets them communicate via Bluetooth with their MyGlucoHealth Bluetooth glucose testing device on most JAVA, Android, Symbian and Windows Mobile phones. This is not a small market! It is a real setback for Windows Phone 7 to come on the market without this support! Unfortunately we have to tell our users, the mobile health and medical communities and telco carriers in the US, Australia, Europe and Asia (markets we are in) to promote any smart phone EXCEPT Windows Phone 7 for this Diabetes management system. Sad for me since I have been a big supporter of Microsoft for nearly 30 years! In case the Microsoft product development team is listening to this forum, PLEASE consider accelerating the release of Bluetooth API, especially SPP profile which is critical for any medical device! Also, if you can communicate any hint of eminent support in the works would also be extremely helpful.

2012 is too late to be useful as every other smart phone on the market already supports Bluetooth SPP profile. Especially when it is stated that there is no guarantee that it will happen at all! Can't run a business this way.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 3:24 PM
  • It is a real setback for Windows Phone 7 to come on the market without this support!
    Really?!? Hasn't seemed to hurt it so far. :\

Unfortunately we have to tell our users, the mobile health and medical communities and telco carriers in the US, Australia, Europe and Asia (markets we are in) to promote any smart phone EXCEPT Windows Phone 7 for this Diabetes management system.

Win 6.x phones didn't just magically stop working when WP7 came out you know. ;)

2012 is too late to be useful as every other smart phone on the market already supports Bluetooth SPP profile. Especially when it is stated that there is no guarantee that it will happen at all! Can't run a business this way.

Again, really? :\
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Really?!? Hasn't seemed to hurt it so far. :\
    Really?
    Win 6.x phones didn't just magically stop working when WP7 came out you know. ;)
    Yes that is true but they are out of date and I would think that you would like to catch your old market when they change.
    Again, really? :\
    I for one will not be buy a WP7 again. I had a HTC I & II and and now HTC HD7 and had to use JetWare inorder for them to work with the bluetooth in the car. iPhone to nokia had no problems but with WP7 I can not even use JetWare. The bluetooth is crap! (Can not evean send a photo with bluetooth) and they are saying that I have to waite to next year to get a "possible" fix. Never again.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:36 PM
  • That's funny, Bluetooth works just fine with my HTC Arrive.

If you're never going to buy a WP7 again, what are you still doing here?!? If you're just trolling, don't bother.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:52 PM
  • With a reply like that, you should loose your job on the spot. You sound like a person who talks to no one but knows exactly what people need ... I used to work for people like you and left because they are too selfconscious about themselves to do anything real useful ... their human factors is null, just like you !
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:04 PM
  • With a reply like that, you should loose your job on the spot.
    Ummm, you must not realize that I'm not an MS employee. I'm an indie dev, like most around here. 
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Does anyone know if someone at MS who actually knows something about this issue monitors and responds on any of these forums? It would be nice to get real answers rather than sarcasm and insults from Mr. Perry.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:20 PM
  • For what it's worth, I concur that Bluetooth support would be a real win for the community.  I understand the concerns the carriers have about Indie devs circumventing the restrictions placed on the network to increase the profits of the carriers; but Microsoft should be siding with its developers, since we're a better source of income.

For me, my interest is in a protocol that supports both detection and broadcast so that two phones can communicate in a LAN without the need of peripheral equipment or servers.  For example, on my iPad, I have used a program that allows two iPad owners to play table hockey over bluetooth.  I'd like this kind of support on WP7 instead of having to mediate turn based transactions through a middle-man web server.

(Also, please keep the dialog productive.  In America, we're privileged with freedom of speech; however, you should still use this freedom with civility.  In the position of the diabetes dev, I'd be frustrated with having to face the possibility of leaving an eco system I knew and loved.)
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:49 PM
  • None here is neither attacking nor defending Microsoft products. We are gathered here as keen developers who want to dig into the new platform. We all acknowledge Windows Phone 7 was shipped with loads of missing features even existed in its predecessor (Windows Mobile 6.x) which was incomprehensible at least to me.

Bluetooth has been one of my major aids in automating applications where monitoring industrial plants by PDAs is very demanded. I felt frustrated that I was not able to do so no on windows phone. All we ask is a road map to enlighten us whether Bluetooth APIs will be supported just like Windows Mobile.

I'm confident that Bluetooth will get to the field naturally at least to stay in competition with other platforms.

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:28 AM
  • For me, my interest is in a protocol that supports both detection and broadcast so that two phones can communicate in a LAN without the need of peripheral equipment or servers.
    Would UDP multicast suit?  Here is an example of how it can be used like you want.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Thank you, Kanoju.  I think we're in several of the same forums on the UDP topic ;-)  That post by Ricky_T is very helpful for one of my projects, even though it still requires two phones to be on the same router/WiFi network (I believe).

Eventually, I'd like to see a mechanism where two (or more) users, using the same application, in a 30' (or more) radius of one another could detect one another without the use of WiFi or a centralized server.  This idea might not be possible even with bluetooth, yet I think bluetooth APIs would be the starting point for this project were they to become available ;-)
    Friday, June 17, 2011 5:02 PM