Flat Navigation, do I have to use App/Command-bar

Question

• I am developing my first Windows Store Application. It contains 3 pages, I want to be able to access all three independently of where I´m at. My understanding is that I should put the shortcuts in the app/command-bar. I don´t really like it though, I want them to be visible at all time.

Do I have any other options? I want to follow standards.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:28 PM

Answers

• UI guideliness are guideliness and not rules. According those guideliness you should place them there. but when you check the windows store now days you see navigation in the top and always visibile. Looking at the win10 preview, appbars are not giving great experience there in my opinion, but that could be fixed in later builds maybe?, so i would place it in the UI

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Marked as answer by PontusL Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:57 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:14 PM

All replies

• UI guideliness are guideliness and not rules. According those guideliness you should place them there. but when you check the windows store now days you see navigation in the top and always visibile. Looking at the win10 preview, appbars are not giving great experience there in my opinion, but that could be fixed in later builds maybe?, so i would place it in the UI

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Marked as answer by PontusL Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:57 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:14 PM
  • Windows 10 is moving away from the app bar that is accessed by swiping down, so don't rely on it.  And even if it was still the main thing, with only three pages, you should definitely have some easy way to navigate to each page that is always visible.  The Microsoft designers made the guidelines to help get some uniformity, but they also say in their videos that it's OK to do different things that are not exactly following the guidelines.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:56 PM