beginner question on best practices for form design RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    First time working on a smart device project. It's a relatively simple project, and in terms of how many different 'forms' available to the user there will be about 6, definitely under 10. By 'forms' I don't necessarily mean actual 'windows forms', in fact, that's what my question is about... there will be around 6 different main things this program will do, and since this is a smart device with limited memory, I'm not sure of how the GUI should be organized? Use one separate windows form for each one, launched from a main form with a menu or toolbar? One simple tab control with a tab for each function? Should I be making an effort to use one, or fewer total forms, in more of a monolithic approach were the form is made in a way to maximize reuse, or general purposing, like generic input/output contols and the user first selects a mode or function?

I assume smart device development has to take into consideration limited memory resources on devices. To further exacerbate this I'm working with an older pocket pc 2003 se. This issue became apparent right away when I went to test basic database connectivity from emulator to my pc and tried to just retrieve all the data from one of my tables, which resulted in an out of memory error. (it was a large table and I don't need to return so many records in the real app, but again, this made me aware of the fact that I need to learn about smart device best practices for design)

any input/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Also, any links to good guides/tutorials on this particular topic would be great.

thanks!
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Cope

How Do I?" Videos for Devices

Info Link :  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsmobile/bb495180.aspx

Thanks
    Gouse

• Marked as answer by c0pe Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Cope