Nearly everything crashes in WDP

Question

• See also: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/5d1fe321-7eb5-472b-b0f2-4856c18bfc04

I installed the Developer Preview on an 32bit System and everything seemed to work well. But I cant open any of the Apps on the home screen, simply everything (except control panel) crashes. The IE10 crashes, weather crashes, all the games crash. I think its just every app except control panel, desktop and windows explorer

So I tried to open MMC to take a look at the event viewer, but the mmc crashes also just right when I press the "add" button on the "EventViewer" snap in, it crashes right on adding the snap in to the list (no error codes). This also happens on the Firewall-Snap in and some more. The Device Manager-Snap-In is working fine.

So to have some internet connection I installed the latest firefox version, which does work without any problem.

After that I downloaded the registry file as discribed in the thread above. Then I opend IE10 (my startpage is set to about:blank), which crashes immediately. But I can't find any "localdumps" folder on my disk.

My screen resolution is 1600x1200 and I did a repair once too.

• Edited by tkrasinger Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:21 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:21 PM

Answers

• Which CPU do you have? There is a known problem with old Athlon XP processors and WDP.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/584ea8f9-e0c6-4980-9932-2389717f2463

• Marked as answer by tkrasinger Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:02 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:43 PM

All replies

• hi there,

sorry to ear you're having more problem than the average...maybe a hardware incompatibility issue is on the spot, given the numerous problems you're having. was this PC used for Windows 7 before? did it have any issues at the time?

it may be a good time to check hardware conditions, as this level of crashes seems to me like a faulty config, if everything crashes, maybe nothing is wrong BUT the HW...i know it doesn't help that much but it's a fact, you're having a hell of a time with this WDP, maybe it's not it. It has definitively Some issues but not every app crashing, it would have been reported unusable if it was the case.

i strongly suggest a good maintenance on Hardware, maybe a quick control at the minimum required hardware list, and most definitivly a reinstall.

if your system isn't stable enough to do a Memory/crash dump, debugging will be impossible.

that level of crashes means your system (hardware or software) has serious issues, a serious solution is mostly indicated :(

just my two cents,

keep us posted

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hello tkrasinger,

There are several things you can check in Windows Developer Preview.
    From the start page, go to Control Panel. Scroll to More Settings. Click on Administrative Tools. Then cllick on Event Viewer. Check for errors.

Next, go back to Control Panel. Then click on Troubleshooting. From there you can click on Network and Internet to see what is the problem with the Internet.
    Then under Troubleshooting, you can go to System and Security. Then click on Check for performance issues.

If you haven't been able to determine if there is a hardware as Pierre Joubert has suggested, you might want to Perform a Refresh of your PC.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you are still having issues.

Please reply back to update your status.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Which CPU do you have? There is a known problem with old Athlon XP processors and WDP.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/584ea8f9-e0c6-4980-9932-2389717f2463

• Marked as answer by tkrasinger Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:02 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:43 PM
  • YOUR DOWNLOAD IS CORRUPTED...

DOWNLOAD AGIAN FROM A BETTER CONNECTION

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:35 PM
  • ok, I'm working on an AMD Sempron 2.06GHz (yeah I know its old, but Win7 did run and Win8 (without apps) runs quite well). I posted a dump at the other thread.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:02 PM