Connection attempt redirecting to mirror target without specifying failover partner RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a number of applications that connect to a mirrored SQL 08 server.

All use DSN-Less connection strings and DO NOT specify a failover partner.

Our mirroring is setup async without automatic failover and will therefore always be offline unless we manually failover.

The problem is, we're seeing a number of connection attempts hitting our recovery server, I've found that the mirror source is supplying the mirror partner's server name as the Failover Partner which we dont seem to be able to control and after an initial successfull connection attempt, subsequent connection attempts are getting redirected to the partner and then back to the main server since the attempt to connect to the partner fails.

Is there any way to prevent this?

We never want any applications to automatically redirect to our partner server.

Cheers,

JB

• Moved by KJian_ Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:01 AM (From:SQL Server Data Access)
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I think your question is more relevant to Database Mirroring. I will move this thread to it to the specialized forum for more help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Hi Roland!

What kind of driver are you using? I have been working with mirroring quite a lot, but I have never encountered this phenomenon so far...

Lucifer

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Hello,

The scenario that you are encountering, there were times when we also encountered. What we did was to create the same application login which was there on the principal server on the mirror server as well.  Now You can not grant appropriate permission to the mirror DB on the mirror server. There are 2 things you can try here.

1. Create the login on the mirror server and leave it like that with Default DB as Master. This might work for you.

2. Create a login on the mirror server and then failover(give appropriate permission to the login) and failback. I dont know whether you can do a failover failback on a prod environment in the daytime. This would be the best solution.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks, Narayan
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:33 PM