Namespace Reference - Expense Sample RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have started working through the August CTP of Expense, and have a data type not found issue in this AcropolisApplication.Services element.

<data:ExpenseDataService Name="DataService" xmlnsBig Smileata="clr-
                                     namespace:Expense;assembly=ExpenseApp.DataService" />

note :  the smiley face is supposed to be : d with no space

I followed the instructions in the tutorial, yet still get a red line under ExpenseDataService. I suspect this is something simple, what I would like to know is how one goes about tracing through (I've tried the Object Browser) to find what should be referenced in a namespace when confronted with a situation like this.

In addition, does anyone know whether a good yet simple explanation of namespace referencing in xaml exists?

Many thanks,

oldevel

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi oldevel,

This message is the result of a bug in the XAML editor. You should be able to it ignore it - the markup looks correct, and we were able to ignore it in our testing of the walkthrough. Please reply if you are unable to build the project, and I will investigate further.

For more information about namespace referencing, try XAML Namespaces and Namespace Mapping.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi oldevel,

This message is the result of a bug in the XAML editor. You should be able to it ignore it - the markup looks correct, and we were able to ignore it in our testing of the walkthrough. Please reply if you are unable to build the project, and I will investigate further.

For more information about namespace referencing, try XAML Namespaces and Namespace Mapping.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Hi Karl,

Thank you for your response. I have done more investigation and wish to share my findings towards a possible solution.

After creating a reference to the ExpenseApp.DataService.dll assembly, and making an attempt to point to the assembly in Application.xaml, I receive, amongst others, these errors

"Error 12 Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information"

and

"Error 13 Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

What I find odd here is the version of Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx. When I use Relector to view the assembly it reports the version = 3.5.0.0.

I have tried re-installing the runtime and the samples, but this did not make any difference. I did consider a recompile of the ExpenseApp.DataService assembly, would this be possible?

Any suggestions here will be appreciated.

oldevel

Friday, September 7, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Hi oldevel,

Try removing the assembly reference and then re-adding it. It looks like the sample contains obsolete metadata for the Acropolis assemblies.

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:35 PM
  • I just started on the Expense Sample, and I have the exact issues you stated.  In the tutorial pages it does not state to add the xmlnsBig Smileata entry but that is required.  Then once I try any combination of entries in the:

<AcropolisApplication.Services>

<data:ExpenseDataService Name="DataService" xmlns:data="clr-namespace:Expense;assembly=ExpenseApp.DataService" />

</AcropolisApplication.Services>

I get the:

Error 1 Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExpenseApp\ExpenseApp\Application.xaml 0 0 ExpenseApp

...error.  Someone noted to ignore the xaml editor but this is beyond the the edits.  It will not run.  I'd love to know if anyone else is hitting this.  I did remove and re-add the reference.  No go...

My environment is that I am running VS2008 Beta 2 on a VPC image.  Are you also?

Thanks,

whit

Friday, September 21, 2007 3:24 PM
  • I am trying to get the Expense Sample to compile and have a number of unresolved references:

Microsoft.Synchronization.Data

Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server

Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe

System.Data.SqlServerCe

this results in 96 errors and 8 warnings

I am running VS2008 Beta 2 natively.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Len

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:14 PM
  • I installed the beta 2 of SQL Server Everywhere and everything is working fine now. I assumed Express - sorry.

Thanks,

Len

Monday, September 24, 2007 1:10 PM
  • I started the tutorial and now I get the error you are getting. It cannot be ignored and causes an exception to be thrown. Visual Studio even shut down on me once. I noticed the reference to the ExpenseDataService does not exist in the full Expense Sample.

Acropolis looks like very interesting technology and I really would like to use it for an application rewrite that is coming up so I will be following along.

Thanks,

Len

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:18 PM
  • The problem is that the ExpenseApp.DataService.dll was generated using an old Acropolis dll.

The solution is to create a new project from the Expense sample sources to re-create this ExpenseApp.DataService.dll or to change the reference in Application.xaml to the same Expense.exe sample:

<data:ExpenseDataService Name="DataService" xmlns:data="clr-namespace:Expense;assembly=Expense" />

Sunday, October 14, 2007 9:09 PM