none
Poor RDP Performance with Virtual XP Professional SP3 Image RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Server 2008 Standard SP1 (64-bit) with the Hyper-V role.  The server has an Intel Pentium D CPU 3.60GHz processor with 4 GB RAM and two network adapters.  One adapter is dedicated to the host and the other adapter is dedicated to the virtual switch which is used by the virtual machines.  I can rdp into a Windows 2003 Server Standard - SP2 guest without a problem.  If I try to rdp into the XP Professional SP3 guest, the performance is terrible.   It takes about 20 - 30 seconds for the login screen to appear.  I am able to connect and use the XP Pro guest through the Hyper-V Manager console.  It seems that the only issue with this guest is rdp.

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Upgrade the service pack to SP2 and re-install the integration services in the XP VM. Use normal network adapter rather than legacy (if you are using it currently) and check its performance  ...

Monday, September 20, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I just checked the Windows 2008 server and I had a typo in my original post as I am already running SP2, the integration services have been installed in the XP VM and it is configured with a normal network adapter.  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:34 PM