none
Daily slowdown of two key applications on an XP system - Reuters Kobra and Lotus Notes - What tools should I use to find what is causing that? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

At the same time each day (roughly 10:50 local New Zealand time) a particular PC will slow down for between 10 and 20 minutes. I have checked the logs and nothing is running that does not run at other times of the day when the system is working well. I have looked at task manager during the slow downs and the CPU is not the problem (no more than about 10% usage), nor is the overall physical memory limit of the PC (about 2.7 gb used in a PC with 4gb installed). The network card appears to be doing very little as well (0.25% usage on a 100mb link). Yet at roughly the same time each day the PC is slowing down. I have checked obvious things like what is running at the time. It is hard to see why these two applications (Reuters Kobra and Lotus Notes) should slow down at that time. Some other applications may become slow as well, but those two in particular are bad. (screen refreshes in them can take a couple of minutes at that time)

What performance monitoring tools should I use to find out exactly what it is that is causing this bizarre slow down problem. Task manager appears to me at least to be of no help, even with extra fields turned on.

Summary ->

A) Massive slow down once a day of two apps on an XP system

B) Task manager shows spare memory, spare cpu power and spare network capacity

C)  What should I do in order to find the cause of the problem

Thanks in advance,
    From Michael Cato

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:29 AM