[WP8.1]Windows Phone Version Number Problem RRS feed

• Question

• In Submission 1 my version number was 1.1.01 and when I tried to create App Package (in Visual Studio Community 2015) for submission 2, I got following error in VS -

The Version attribute of the Identity element in the app manifest must have a higher version number than 2015.725.619.320

I searched internet and found these two links which explained the problem -

Link 1-> adamkinney.com/blog/2015/07/03/windows-phone-8-1-store-package-version-change-surprise-one-act/

Link 2-> social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/bc8d6642-ff70-4fa0-b688-022f3bf1daa9/window-phone-version-number-corrupted?forum=wpsubmit

In short These links explains that 2015.725.619.320 is the new standard version number format for App Packages.

Old Format - 1.1.0.1 ( Major . Minor . Build . Revision )

New Format - 2015.725.619.320 ( Time Stamp Based )

Now my questions are Following -

1) What was the problem with the old easy to understand format (1.1.0.1) ?

2) Is it alright to jump from Version 1.X.X.X to 2015.X.X.X ?

3) The first time VS 2015 let me write the version number in old format(1.1.0.1) and few days later when I tried to update app it showed me error that version number should be higher than new format(2012.725.619.320). So Why Microsoft is not accepting that this is a bug when it is behaving like one ?

4) How some one is going to figure out if release is Major or Minor with this new format ?

Saturday, July 25, 2015 12:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi megasoftstudios,

>>1) What was the problem with the old easy to understand format (1.1.0.1) ?
    >>2) Is it alright to jump from Version 1.X.X.X to 2015.X.X.X ?
    >>3) The first time VS 2015 let......

As the description in this thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/bc8d6642-ff70-4fa0-b688-022f3bf1daa9

This is the expected standard format for appx packages, in my experience, for Windows Phone Runtime app, if you packaged it using App Bundle, your app will display this version format in the Store.

See also this case: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/deb78a46-e64c-4dc2-b1b4-8d1c24230fe8/app-bundle-gets-version-2014?forum=wpsubmit

>>4) How some one is going to figure out if release is Major or Minor with this new format ?

You have to show this information in your app, if you check the latest Store page, there is no version number information anymore.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 27, 2015 3:21 AM
  • Previously, it was only the "appx bundle" that got the timestamp version. The package could very well have a custom logical version number. Now with VS2015, we are suddenly supposed to use the same timestamp version also as package version. But this does not make sense: The appx bundle version is created automatically during build. If timestamp is the new standard for everything, then why do we have to manually enter the version number in the publish dialog? It should be auto-generated in that case! Are we supposed now to "guess" the timestamp for the package version?

If I enter some arbitrary number that I guess will be more or less the expected new timestamp, then the package version will still be different from the "real" auto generated version shown on the dashboard. I write the version number into the log files, so i know which version this comes from. Now there will be a mismatch between version numbers in my log files and the one I see in the dashboard. This does not make sense.

There are so many bugs and problems with the new store. How could MS rush out the Win10 release like this? This is horrible for app developers... Really horrible. At least, MS should admit that there are a lot of bugs and weird issues with the new unified store. Acting as if this was "intended" and the "new way of working" is absurd. No one is going to buy that. This attitude is only creating more frustration.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:07 AM