none
FAQ: ReportViewer control functionality in VS 2008 RTM RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have seen this question come up frequently, particulary in the SSRS 2008 forum.  Brian Welcker wrote up an excellent blog article summarizing what's new in the VS 2008 RTM ReportViewer control, what functionality is not available, and download links for the redistributable control.

-- Robert

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:14 PM

All replies

• I can't seem to get this to work right.  I quickly downloaded the VS2008 Web Dev Express, and the redist pack.  Replaced the 8.0 references with 9.0.  Obviously the designer didn't work, but my .aspx pages come up blank as well in production mode.  I guess I have to wait for the pro version.  Any ideas??

I should point out that everything appears to be loading from the backend, for example the script is accounted for and in debug mode it appears that ReportingControl has the correct settings it just never is drawn.

EDIT: Resolved.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:35 AM
  • Thanks Akula for following up.

Maybe you could describe your problem and resolution in a little bit more detail, since it might help other people who run into the same issue.

-- Robert

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Hi there.

I am using ReportViewer 2005 and the one place where I feel there is room for  improvement is with Subreport error handling.

It is very very very difficult to pinpoint a error in a deeply nested subreport when all I get is:

"An error occurred while executing the subreport ‘subreport1’: An error has occurred during report processing."

Is it at all possible to add an event to the LocalReport that is thrown every time a Subreport fails to render? We create rather complex reports and if one subreport fails we need to see what exactly went wrong.

Thank you very much.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:27 AM
  • After the control renders, turn on debugging to reveal a javascript error, view the (microsoft generated) source then go to that line to view the syntax error... look at the last line of the script block. "-->" will be interpreted as a line of code rather than a comment "// -->", which it is supposed to be, this occures more than once. This is a huge WTF. Infact i think im going to go post it on http://thedailywtf.com/. I can't use reportviewer 2005 because it has unique problems of its own that are equally impressive.

<noscript>

&nbsp;Your browser does not support scripts or has been configured not to allow scripts.

</noscript><Script language="javascript"><!--

document.getElementById('RL_UserControls\\applications\\reporting\\report_ascx1_2179_ReportViewer1').ClientController.CustomOnReportLoaded = function() {};

document.getElementById('RL_UserControls\\applications\\reporting\\report_ascx1_2179_ReportViewer1').ClientController.CustomOnAsyncPageChange = function() {};

document.getElementById('RL_UserControls\\applications\\reporting\\report_ascx1_2179_ReportViewer1').ClientController.CustomOnDocMapVisibilityChange = function() {};

document.getElementById('RL_UserControls\\applications\\reporting\\report_ascx1_2179_ReportViewer1').ClientController.CustomOnPromptAreaVisibilityChange = function() {};

document.getElementById('RL_UserControls\\applications\\reporting\\report_ascx1_2179_ReportViewer1').ClientController.CustomOnReloadDocMap = function() {};

--></Script>

Thursday, January 3, 2008 12:41 AM