How does the firewall work in Windows7? It notifies a network application A, but does NOT notify another network application B? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The firewall in Windows7 sometimes notifies the new application accessing network and asks user whether to stop the application's network accessing, but sometimes it does NOT do this.

I wonder how it determines whether the new application should be notified or not?

How to make the firewall notify all new application's network accessing?

Is there any advanced rules affect this?

• Changed type qaqz111 Saturday, August 22, 2015 2:46 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

• Sorry but I don't see why a firewall should notify your application. Why your customers want you to write a software to monitor their firewalls? The common interface of firewall products is probably the security center interface but you can not get much info besides the status.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:10 PM
  • I'm afraid that u misunderstand my point.

I just want win7's firewall to notify me when an application try to access network, both when it sends an outgoing connection and when it receives an incoming connection, and let me determine allowed or denied.

Friday, August 26, 2011 10:20 AM
  • If you need help in using Microsoft Windows on your own machine, try answers.microsoft.com. This a developer web site so everything is assumed to be related to writing software that will run somewhere else.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:18 PM
  • My miss.

Thanks any way!

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:07 AM