none
run tim error '5' invalid procedure call or argument visual basic RRS feed

• Question

• I have this error when switching between 2 specific excel document (developed tools), it doesn't actually seem to affect functionality because I can press 'end' and continue, it is however very annoying!! any clues??

Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What's the meaning of "developed tools"? Is there any code running in your workbooks?

The error message "Invalid procedure call or argument (Error 5)" may be caused by some reasons as followed, we have to narrow down it. If there is a project or add-in running in your Excel, I suggest you running it in other machines to check whether the issue is caused by it. Or you could consider sharing it with us to troubleshooting.

1.An argument probably exceeds the range of permitted values. For example, the Sin function can only accept values within a certain range. Positive arguments less than 2,147,483,648 are accepted, while 2,147,483,648 generates this error. 

Check the ranges permitted for arguments.

2.This error can also occur if an attempt is made to call a procedure that isn't valid on the current platform. For example, some procedures may only be valid for Microsoft Windows, or for the Macintosh, and so on. 

Check platform-specific information about the procedure.

Friday, May 16, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• You've posted this in the Word for Developers forum, yet your problem appears to be with Excel?

In any case, you certainly don't provide enough information for anyone to be able to help you. How about the code that causing the error - what is it?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

What's the meaning of "developed tools"? Is there any code running in your workbooks?

The error message "Invalid procedure call or argument (Error 5)" may be caused by some reasons as followed, we have to narrow down it. If there is a project or add-in running in your Excel, I suggest you running it in other machines to check whether the issue is caused by it. Or you could consider sharing it with us to troubleshooting.

1.An argument probably exceeds the range of permitted values. For example, the Sin function can only accept values within a certain range. Positive arguments less than 2,147,483,648 are accepted, while 2,147,483,648 generates this error. 

Check the ranges permitted for arguments.

2.This error can also occur if an attempt is made to call a procedure that isn't valid on the current platform. For example, some procedures may only be valid for Microsoft Windows, or for the Macintosh, and so on. 

Check platform-specific information about the procedure.

Friday, May 16, 2014 9:47 AM