none
Creating a Virtual Machine using Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using Hyper V Manager to create a Virtual Machine so I can test applications in Windows EC 2013.

I am having problems setting up my Virtual Machine though, here is the screenshot of when I run my machine:

I have no idea why this is not working, I have followed the msdn walkthrough "Use Hyper-V to create a virtual machine (Compact 2013)", unfortunately I cannot provide the link but Google that title and you will find the correct article.

As you can see from the screenshot above, it finds the DHCP straight away, but the BootMe message will time out, at attempt 60, with the error message : Error: BootDownloadBin!ImageType: BootTransportRead Failed!

Online forums have suggested changing firewall settings, inbound rules and I haven't found anything that has worked so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:56 AM

Answers

• Ohps !

WIndows CE is a componentized OS and you have to build an image selecting which components include using catalog items.

I think you need to study better Windows CE and you can start from the following guide :

http://www.embedded101.com/compact7.aspx

It is based on WEC7 but you can learn a lot for WEC2013.

Paolo

Paolo Patierno

• Proposed as answer by Paolo PatiernoMVP Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Makin Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

what is the problem ?

The virtual machine is sending BOOTME message in broadcast, waiting a Platform Builder instance to attach for downloading the image.

You need Platform Builder and an OS Design with an WEC2013 image to download to the virtual machine.

You can follow the following article even if it is based on WEC7 and Virtual PC :

http://www.embedded101.com/Blogs/SamuelPhung/tabid/72/entryid/245/Compact-7-Getting-Started-Part-3a-Develop-OS-Design-for-Virtual-PC.aspx

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi Paolo,

I am trying to start the machine and then in my OSDesign project in VS2012, go Target, Connectivity Options, Kernal Download and settings to the download the OS to the device like this tutorial:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200350.aspx

Problem is that in Target Connectivity Options it wont let me apply the settings as the box below is grey'd out for some unknown reason. When this is applied I should be able to download the device and run the image

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:30 PM
  • In the picture I see that "Target Device" is (auto)Ether.

Did you execute step 4 in the tutorial ?

In New target device name, enter a name for your device, and then click Add.

In this way you can create a target device connection and Apply should be enable.

Even if Apply isn't enable, try however to click close and then attach button from Platform Builder to attach to the device.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Yes, I did execute step 4, added a new device multiple times and tried to apply which hasn't worked,

In VS2012, when I go to Target, Attach Device, this is what I get:

Regards,

Nick

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:48 PM
  • The message is clear.

Did you build the image using "Build" menu and then "Sysgen" command ?

Platform Builder doesn't find the OS image (file NK.bin) because you didn't build it so it can't download on virtual machine.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:02 PM
  • What image?

Sorry Paolo, not familiar with embedded compact and have been following the msdn tutorials to get started and got stuck with these errors, haven't seen an image in any of them unless I missed something,

Regards,

Nick

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Ohps !

WIndows CE is a componentized OS and you have to build an image selecting which components include using catalog items.

I think you need to study better Windows CE and you can start from the following guide :

http://www.embedded101.com/compact7.aspx

It is based on WEC7 but you can learn a lot for WEC2013.

Paolo

Paolo Patierno

• Proposed as answer by Paolo PatiernoMVP Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Makin Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Great, I will take a look, 

Thanks very much Paolo,

Nick

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:09 AM
  • You are welcome Nick !!

If my reply solved your problem/doubt mark my last reply as answer so that it can be useful for other people that have your same problem.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:15 AM