Time out Smart Card Reader Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a device that generates 2048 bit RSA keys using Smart Card Reader driver, I have no problem when I use Windows XP or Windows 2008, but when I'm in Windows 7 or Windows 8 I have intermittent problems, however they follows a pattern, when the device is takes over a minute to respond the device restars and the following error appears in the Event Viewer:

-----------

Smart Card Reader 'plusID 60 0' rejected IOCTL TRANSMIT: A device attached to the system is not functioning.  If this error persists, your smart card or reader may not be functioning correctly.

Command Header: 80 22 03 01

Request[0](CLS=0x0,INS=0x47,P1=0x80,P2=0x81,Lc=5,Le=0,.NETServiceMethod=0x0)

An operation has failed (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0).
    ScT1Transmit: Failed to send request.
    HResult: {Device Timeout}
    The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired.

An operation has failed (0x10d, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0).
    ScReadWrite: Failed to read reply.
    HResult: {Device Timeout}

The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired.
    Smart Card Reader 'plusID 60 0' rejected IOCTL TRANSMIT: The semaphore timeout period has expired.  If this error persists, your smart card or reader may not be functioning correctly.

Command Header: 00 47 80 81

Smart Card Reader 'plusID 60 0' rejected IOCTL GET_STATE: The device has been removed.  If this error persists, your smart card or reader may not be functioning correctly.

Command Header: XX XX XX XX

Smart Card Reader 'plusID 60 0' rejected IOCTL GET_STATE: The device has been removed.  If this error persists, your smart card or reader may not be functioning correctly.

Command Header: XX XX XX XX

----------

It is normal that the device can take more than a minute since the generation of these keys depends on the time it takes to find a pair of prime numbers.

According to this post:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/46b96218-7b41-42e3-a36f-e5ee65940529/usb-smart-card-reader-timeout-on-vista

In Windows Vista there was a HotFix that increased the timeout smart card reader driver to 60 seconds, but in this case I require is more than 60 seconds ...

Is it possible to increase this timeout?

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:49 PM

All replies