locked
Failed to load the configuration file for the workflow RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi experts, yesterday I created and publish custom workflow using SPD from client pc using site administrator account but today its shows error message. I tried creating new test workflows, edit and publish to think it will push a fresh SPD settings in working condition and it works pretty right.

    But the thing I noticed after closing SPD Im not able to re-open workflows and it gives the same error message Failed to load the configuration file for the workflow. This issue only happen today since day one  I used SPD and all the time Im using the same pc.

    Any ideas will be appreciated.



    Cheers, R2C3 ----------------------------------- starting sharepoint :)

    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:17 AM

Answers

  • This http://thesharepointden.blogspot.com/2010/11/failed-to-load-workflow-in-sharepoint.html did not work for me but I rather found another solution.

    I login to a domain member pc, install a fresh SPD, install .net 3.5 and it works!


    Cheers, R2C3 ----------------------------------- starting sharepoint :)

    • Marked as answer by R2C3 Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:58 PM

All replies

  • HI

    Maybe you have permission problem or there is invalid xoml murkup.

    To verify this from SharePoint Designer use the following steps.

    In Office SharePoint Designer, in the folder list, select the plus sign next to Workflows library to expand it

    1.Next select the plus sign of the workflow in question to expand it

    2.Double-click the configuration file (Workflow_name.xoml.wfconfig.xml) to open it

    3.Right-click on the page, and then select Verify well-formed XML

    4.Correct any errors and save the file

    5.Reopen the workflow to test

    Also double check that you are using SPD with the same credentials you created workflow

    Hope this will help.

    Regards,

    Marcin

    
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hi Marcin C,

    Im using the same site admin account and we did not made changes on the its privilege so the credential should not be an issue.

    And also the XML verification is a success without any error. 

    Cheers, R2C3 ----------------------------------- starting sharepoint :)

    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Well in that case I would suggest to take a step back and start from the begining.

    Try to create new site collection, then new custom list. Make sure that your account is and admin account. Next create new simple workflow which i.e sends email and check whether you have the same error.

    You might want to check following posts:
    http://thesharepointden.blogspot.com/2010/11/failed-to-load-workflow-in-sharepoint.html

    In your post you say everything was fine yesterday. Did you make any changes since that date? Any hotfix installation?

    
    

    Regards, Marcin (Please mark as helpful or answered if it helps)

    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:21 PM
  • There was no server hotfix/updates and no changes on workflow as well, the error shows first time I open custom workflow today. A bit of confusionle confuse since it allows me to create new custom workflows but after closing SPD the error start showing. 

    The hlink work around looks promising, let me try if that's resolve the issue.


    Cheers, R2C3 ----------------------------------- starting sharepoint :)

    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:56 PM
  • This http://thesharepointden.blogspot.com/2010/11/failed-to-load-workflow-in-sharepoint.html did not work for me but I rather found another solution.

    I login to a domain member pc, install a fresh SPD, install .net 3.5 and it works!


    Cheers, R2C3 ----------------------------------- starting sharepoint :)

    • Marked as answer by R2C3 Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:58 PM
  • I wouldn't say this is a solution, more of a workaround.  I have this issue right now and it's very frustrating... basically we have to either use a different machine?  or reinstall your own machine?  I've done the following to no avail:

    1. Delete all the temporary cache files in the AppData folder

    2. Reinstall .net 3.5 from "Turn Features on/off" 

    3. Reinstall Office 2010

    4. Reinstall SPD2010

    5. Checked all file associations for .oxml file in SPD2010, they're set at default to use SPD2010

    I have a case open with MS, but they're not really sure what is the cause either.  I'm trying to be minimalist here and redo or delete my profile on the machine and start over, but that's hardly a fix.

    Friday, June 8, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Anyone ever find a solution to this? This randomly started happening on multiple workstations for multiple users all of whom are Farm Administrators.  Seriously huge problem. We even tried a Windows 7 virtual machine out of the box with .NET 3.5 and even that doens't work. 

    Monday, October 15, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Any one got this fixed. I have tried all (Verified XML, reinstalled SPD, .NET 3.5)

    I don't have any custom workflow installed. I created new workflow and added default approval activity, published and closed it.

    When I try to open workflow again, I am getting Failed to load configuration file......

    Please let me know any one got this fixed. We have this issue is production environment too.

    Monday, June 9, 2014 10:18 PM