How to prepare a valid setup for Windows CE installer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have Created a Windows CE 5.0 application(Visual Studio 2005, Visual C#,
    SmartDevice ->Windows CE 5.0).

Can any one help me that how to prepare a valid setup for Windows CE installer?

Thanks in advance,
    Kumaran A

Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:00 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to run MSI on device? That won't work, MSI is for desktop only. If you need device side installation and don’t need desktop side installer, just use CAB file.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Dear Kumaran,

Just as your another questionin our forum, Ilya has answered it. On CE-based device, .CAB is the only installer package supported, while .msi is used on desktop installation. 

You can create a valid setup .CAB file following the Creating device .cab files with visual studio section in this MSDN document: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

Regards,

Zero Dai - MSFT

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Dear Kumaran,

"Finally i have coppied the Setup.exe into the device(Windows CE 5.0).", this is the root cause because setup.exe cannot run on Windows CE-based device. You need to copy .cab file into your device.

After copying .cab file into device, just clicking it will start up install progress. Thus, we don't need ActiveSync/ Remote File Viewer.

Thanks!

Zero Dai - MSFT

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi all,
    Am very glad to join this discussion forums.

Created a Windows CE 5.0 application(Visual Studio 2005, Visual C#, SmartDevice ->Windows CE 5.0

I have prepared the Custom installer for this application by using this link(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx) help...

Coppied the Setup file in to the Windows Ce 5.0 Device and and tried to install.
    But am getting the following error..
    "setup is not a valid Windows CE installer"

Can any one help me that how to prepare the Installer for Windows CE device without using ActiveSync?

Thanks in advance,

Kumaran A

Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:14 PM
  • You can add a new project to your solution.

Choose Other Project Types -> Setup and Deployment -> Smart Device CAB Project.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:06 PM
  • Hi all,
    Created a Windows CE 5.0 application(Visual Studio 2005, Visual C#, SmartDevice ->Windows CE 5.0

I have prepared the Custom installer for this application by using this link(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx) help...

Coppied the Setup file in to the Windows Ce 5.0 Device and and tried to install.
    But am getting the following error..
    "setup is not a valid Windows CE installer"

Can any one help me, will it possible to prepare the Installer for Windows CE device without using ActiveSync?

Thanks in advance,
    Kumaran A

Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Are you trying to run MSI on device? That won't work, MSI is for desktop only. If you need device side installation and don’t need desktop side installer, just use CAB file.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Dear Kumaran,

Just as your another questionin our forum, Ilya has answered it. On CE-based device, .CAB is the only installer package supported, while .msi is used on desktop installation. 

You can create a valid setup .CAB file following the Creating device .cab files with visual studio section in this MSDN document: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

Regards,

Zero Dai - MSFT

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Hi Ilya Tumanov,
    Am just downloading the setup file and running into the device.
    I have just followed this link(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx) and prepared the installer(setup) file.
    Though am getting this error "setup is not a valid Windows CE installer".
    How can i solve this problem?

Can you give me a clear idea for this question "How to Install the Windows CE 5.0 application into the windows CE 5.0 device without using ActiveSync? "

Thanks in advance,
    Kumaran A

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:52 AM
  • Hi Zero Dai,
    Thanks.
    I have replied to Ilya for his kindfull suggestion and have mentioned that where i have strucked up.

FYI...
    Am just downloading the setup file and running into the device.
    I have just followed this link(
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx) and prepared the installer(setup) file.
    Though am getting this error "setup is not a valid Windows CE installer".
    How can i solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Kumaran A

Friday, March 23, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Dear Kumaran,

"Am just downloading the setup file and running into the device"

Is this file with file extension .msi?  If so, we cannot run it on Windows CE-based device. That's the root cause.  You can try to run it on desktop PC. If it is a installer package for a smart device application, ActiveSync will be called to transfer .CAB file (extracted from this .msi) to the device.

Solution for valid installer ( .CAB file)on Windows CE-based device:

Create a smart device .CAB project for your application. Then use remote file viewer or other tools like ActiveSync explore to copy this .CAB file to your device. Click it on your device, then installation progress will start up automatically.

Thanks!

Zero Dai - MSFT

Friday, March 23, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Dear Zero Dai,
    Yes i created,
    1.  .Cab file from Add New Project ->Other Project Types ->Setup and Deployment ->Smart Device Cab Project.
    2.  Setup.exe file from Add New Project ->Other Project Types ->Setup and Deployment ->Setup Project.

Finally i have coppied the Setup.exe into the device(Windows CE 5.0).

Can we run the installer(Setup.exe) directly on the controller(Windows CE 5.0 Operating system device)?
    By the time of installation process,i should not use the ActiveSync (or) Remote File Viewer.
    Can you help me how can i make it to install without using ActiveSync (or) Remote File Viewer?

Thanks,
    Kumaran A

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Dear Kumaran,

"Finally i have coppied the Setup.exe into the device(Windows CE 5.0).", this is the root cause because setup.exe cannot run on Windows CE-based device. You need to copy .cab file into your device.

After copying .cab file into device, just clicking it will start up install progress. Thus, we don't need ActiveSync/ Remote File Viewer.

Thanks!

Zero Dai - MSFT

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:26 AM
  • Moving to Smart Devices VB and C# projects forum where it has got better chances of being answered.

-Thanks,

Mohit

Friday, March 23, 2007 11:22 AM
  • I have already posted and monitoring the discussion Really it is good and helpfull.

Thanks,

Kumaran A

Friday, March 23, 2007 12:15 PM
  • Dear Zero Dai,
    Thanks lot.
    I have tried with your comments It is working fine.
    Let you know if i have any doubt.
    Will keep in touch with you.

Thanks,
    Kumaran A

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:44 PM
  • Dear Zero Dai,
    Thanks in advance,

I have a doubt.
    First i installed .cab file for compact framework v2.0 - Successfully installed
    then application .cab file - It is not getting install(Error - related to the .Net compact Framework.)

For this,
    In device settings there is an option as "Deploy the latest version of the .Net Compact Framework".
    By default it is checked.

Shall i uncheck it and try it out for installation?

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
    Kumaran A

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:54 AM
  • hi zerodai,

i tried to create a setup package for Smartphone and pocket pc. the installation seems to be to successful . but the application is not installed in the device/Emulators, but its get installed in the desktop .Even the active sync is connected .

i have followed the msdn link which is as folows :

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

After the installation Windows CE manager gets started , but seems to be not rsponding for a while , then it gets shut down without installing teh appplication to the emulator/Device . then if i navigate to Active Installed Directory , and double click the CEAppManager , now it starts to install the application .

Why this happening ? . i want to install the application in the device without manually starting the windows CEAppManager ....

moreover i am working in CF 1.0 . any help will be gretaly appreciated

thanks
    sadiq
    Monday, September 10, 2007 5:01 AM