control is not found on IE8 on machine #1, but is found on IE9 on machine #2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a test that was written using Coded UI Tests builder in VS2010. It navigates to certain page using IE and then clicks some controls. One control is not found correctly on machine #1 in IE8, while it is found fine on machine #2 in IE9. The exception which is thrown when code attempts to click on it is:

Cannot perform 'Click' on the hidden control. Additional Details: TechnologyName: 'Web' ControlType: 'Pane' Id: '' Name: '' TagName: 'DIV'

inner exception message: Exception from HRESULT: 0xF004F002

Any thoughts on how to reproduce it, or how to fix it?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

To resolve this issue, please try the following steps:

1. Try to re-create a coded UI test with the same actions through recording actions using Coded UI Test Builder on machine 2# with IE9 and then run the test to check if the same issue will occur.
    2. Drag the crosshair on the Pane control when you open a web page using IE9 to check if the CodedUI can identify it well.
    3. For the hidden control, the BoundingRectangle.Width/Height value is -1. I suggest that you refer to Jake’s code to perform clicking on that control in the following thread with similar issue to check the result.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/da97a6c5-09cc-43e5-82ef-bb2cc01cca56/

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:59 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 5:10 AM
  • The problem was really with IE8. Didn't dug deep into it, but tested it on another PC with IE8 and it also didn't work there. Upgraded to IE10 and it worked fine.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

To resolve this issue, please try the following steps:

1. Try to re-create a coded UI test with the same actions through recording actions using Coded UI Test Builder on machine 2# with IE9 and then run the test to check if the same issue will occur.
    2. Drag the crosshair on the Pane control when you open a web page using IE9 to check if the CodedUI can identify it well.
    3. For the hidden control, the BoundingRectangle.Width/Height value is -1. I suggest that you refer to Jake’s code to perform clicking on that control in the following thread with similar issue to check the result.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/da97a6c5-09cc-43e5-82ef-bb2cc01cca56/

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:59 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Hello,

Since we haven't heard from you for some time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please feel free to unmark it to reopen it or submit a new question.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:59 AM
  • The problem was really with IE8. Didn't dug deep into it, but tested it on another PC with IE8 and it also didn't work there. Upgraded to IE10 and it worked fine.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:41 PM