Help with Help Viewer 1.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed VS2010 and updated everything to SP1.  When I start Help Viewer, I get a page saying "Can't find requested content on your computer".  I have no contents, no index.  Lower on that page it tells me:

Installed content: VS2010 ... JScript, Office Devel, Visual C++, Visual Studio (All), VS Fundamentals, Win32 and COM development.

The help library manager is set to use local help and shows the location L:\HelpLibrary which is correct and contains, at the top level,

<DIR>    catalogs
    <DIR>    content
    <DIR>    manifest
    <DIR>    VS_100_en-US
         99  cld-settings.xml

How can I get it working?  Thanks.

- Vince

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:49 AM

Answers

• Well, I guess I got it.  I uninstalled Help Viewer 1.1 and repaired VS2010.  Then from CP I "reapplied" VS2010/SP1; many things failed because I had emptied the temp directory (it shouldn't depend on stuff being left in %TEMP% by the original SP1 install).  But it all seems to work.
    • Proposed as answer by systemx Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, March 26, 2012 2:21 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Vince, are there any items in the folder "VS_100_en-US"?

You could also try the following steps below and see if you can download the help content from an online source to your local source.

1. Launch VS 2010.
    2. Click "Help" from the menu bar.
    3. Click "Manage Help Settings".
    4. Click "Install content from online" (please wait for the entire book list to fetched).
    5. Determine the help content that you want to install locally from the book list and click "Add".
    6. Click the "Update" button once you are ready to proceed.
    7. Wait for the help content to download and click the "Finish" button after all the online help content has been downloaded locally.

Hope this helps and please do post back your results when you have the time, thanks!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Hi Vince, are there any items in the folder "VS_100_en-US"?

You could also try the following steps below and see if you can download the help content from an online source to your local source.

1. Launch VS 2010.
    2. Click "Help" from the menu bar.
    3. Click "Manage Help Settings".
    4. Click "Install content from online" (please wait for the entire book list to fetched).
    5. Determine the help content that you want to install locally from the book list and click "Add".
    6. Click the "Update" button once you are ready to proceed.
    7. Wait for the help content to download and click the "Finish" button after all the online help content has been downloaded locally.

Hope this helps and please do post back your results when you have the time, thanks!

Yes, these files are there:

10/19/2010  14:47           1,970  book1.html
    10/19/2010  14:47             439  helpcontentsetup.msha
    10/19/2010  14:55          36,416  microsoft_help_20219253_vs_100_en-us_1(2c6ec2
    86-9872-945c-d37f-d415b6e609ed).cab
    10/19/2010  14:47           1,417  product1.html

I tried installing content from online a few times.  It fails, as soon as it starts "merging indexes", leaving this message in the event log.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HelpLibManager
    Date:          3/24/2012 1:17:20 AM
    Event ID:      1003
    Task Category: (1)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      zz
    Description:
    An error occurred while updating local content: Microsoft.Help.Index.HelpIndexException: file "Visual_Studio_20219249_VS_90_en-us_1.mshc" not found in catalog.  Delete not valid
       at Microsoft.Help.Index.Catalog.ProcessModification_Delete(CatalogModificationEntry catalogModificationEntry)
       at Microsoft.Help.Index.Catalog.Modify(String contentPath, String contentWorkPath, String vendorPath, CatalogModificationEntry[] modificationList)
       at Microsoft.Help.Index.Indexer.ModifyCatalogs(CatalogUpdateRequest[] catalogUpdateRequestList, String queryManifestFilePath)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.IndexMerger.Generate(CatalogUpdateRequest[] requests)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.MergeCatalogs(ChangeDescription change, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.IntegrateChange(VendorName vendorName, ChangeDescription change, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback, CertificateCheckCallback certCheckCallback)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.Update(VendorName vendorName, Boolean checkForOnlineUpdates, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback, CertificateCheckCallback certCheckCallback)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.CacheManager.<>c__DisplayClass24.<UpdateAsync>b__23()
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.AsyncOperationRunner.Run(Object state)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="HelpLibManager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1003</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-24T05:17:20.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>3005</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>zz</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>An error occurred while updating local content: Microsoft.Help.Index.HelpIndexException: file "Visual_Studio_20219249_VS_90_en-us_1.mshc" not found in catalog.  Delete not valid
       at Microsoft.Help.Index.Catalog.ProcessModification_Delete(CatalogModificationEntry catalogModificationEntry)
       at Microsoft.Help.Index.Catalog.Modify(String contentPath, String contentWorkPath, String vendorPath, CatalogModificationEntry[] modificationList)
       at Microsoft.Help.Index.Indexer.ModifyCatalogs(CatalogUpdateRequest[] catalogUpdateRequestList, String queryManifestFilePath)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.IndexMerger.Generate(CatalogUpdateRequest[] requests)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.MergeCatalogs(ChangeDescription change, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.IntegrateChange(VendorName vendorName, ChangeDescription change, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback, CertificateCheckCallback certCheckCallback)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.Update(VendorName vendorName, Boolean checkForOnlineUpdates, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback, CertificateCheckCallback certCheckCallback)
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.CacheManager.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass24.&lt;UpdateAsync&gt;b__23()
       at Microsoft.Help.CacheLib.AsyncOperationRunner.Run(Object state)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Hi Vince, lets try to repair Help Viewer with the following steps below.

1. Open up Windows Explorer and browse to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1\".
    2. Double-click on install.exe, select Repair, and click Next.

Once the repair is complete, could you please try opening Help Viewer in VS 2010 and see if you still get the same errors? Thanks!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hi Vince, lets try to repair Help Viewer with the following steps below.

1. Open up Windows Explorer and browse to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1\".
    2. Double-click on install.exe, select Repair, and click Next.

Once the repair is complete, could you please try opening Help Viewer in VS 2010 and see if you still get the same errors? Thanks!

I just tried that.  It's no better.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:26 PM
  • And now, when I start the Help Library Manager, I get

Help Library Manager - Microsoft Help Viewer 1.0
    ---------------------------
    The location specified for the help content store is invalid or you do not have access to it.

When I dismiss the message box, the manager starts.  Now it specifies the location c:\programdata\microsoft\helplibrary (which doesn't exist) ... used to specify L:\helplibrary.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Well, I guess I got it.  I uninstalled Help Viewer 1.1 and repaired VS2010.  Then from CP I "reapplied" VS2010/SP1; many things failed because I had emptied the temp directory (it shouldn't depend on stuff being left in %TEMP% by the original SP1 install).  But it all seems to work.
    • Proposed as answer by systemx Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, March 26, 2012 2:21 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Hi Vince, glad you got it working and thank you for sharing the steps you took to fix it :)
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:41 AM
  • I corrected all the paths (altogether 4 paths) in the:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary\manifest\queryManifest.5.xml 

file and that helped.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 12:39 AM