none
Local Report.Render to PDF taking a long time RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have a local report (rdlc) rendering in PDF using the LocalReport.Render() method. It works fine for most smallerreports with not many pages. But we have report which is about 377 pages (25,000) records. It takes 5 minutes to get the byte array back from the render method. On the server of course the request  just times out.

Is there anything that can be done to decrease the rendering time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:20 PM

All replies

• Local mode isn't designed to handle reports with hundreds of pages.  Local mode doesn't have the same memory management and caching infrastructure that the report server does.  If you are regularly generating reports that large, you might want to consider executing the reports on a report server.

In VS 2008, we added supported for PDF compression in local mode.  This might help your scenario.  This functionality has always been available in server mode.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Ummm, that blows.

That little fact should be made know much better than it is. I have recently begun to use SSRS and I have never seen such an alert 
    anywhere until I completed the development and discovered the un-acceptable performance lag for large reports.
     That sucks!
    Frank K
    Monday, September 22, 2008 8:50 PM
  • I have the same issue. Generating 7 pages takes some 30 seconds with LocalReport. Much too long.

In addition, the PDF is about 3 times the size ofthe same PDF created with PDF Exchange report printer. The SSRS reports for 7 pages are about 3MB, the exact same size with PDFExchange is 0.85MB.

Is there going to be a resolution for either of these issues i.e. speed to create and size of generated PDFs via LocalReport?

• Edited by genify2 Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:23 PM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:21 PM
  • I have the same issue using the LocalReport and rendering in PDF.

I would use the Report Server except that I need to process the data retrieved from the stored procedure with some complicated calculations ( predictions )  that cannot really be run in a stored procedures and need to be done in C#.   The data retrieval and calculations takes less than a second then the PDF rendering takes about 55 seconds. I have just a simple table and a document map pretty straight forward formatting.

Is there some method that I could use to read the data process the data, and then render it on the report server.

I also create an Excel document from the same data using XML and XLST and this loads in about 2 seconds unfortunately most of the reports need to be rendered in PDF so this really is not an option for me.

Any suggestion how to speed this up would be much appreciated as this is really not acceptable for my client. 

Actually this is an upgrade to an app designed in 2000.  In that app I used Crystal Reports V8 and it manage much better, so I believe there has to be a simple solution.

• Edited by STEERB Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:18 AM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:14 AM