none
Manually Remove Visual Studio 2015

Question

• I've tried to uninstall Visual Studio 2015 Professional via Windows 10 Programs and Features. The uninstall fails. How do I manually remove Visual Studio 2015 Professional?  My Visual Studio 2015 Professional (Update 2) was working fine until I installed (Update 3 RTM)

Please help!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi rgturner,

Thank you for your post.

If you want do a clear uninstall of VS, you need to use uninstall/force command.

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015 Professional. If you installed from media, please insert that media.
    2.Open a command prompt.
      a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
      b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).
    3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force
      Example: D:\vs_xxx.exe /uninstall /force

4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

For more details, please refer to:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall/

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by rgturner Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi rgturner,

Thank you for your post.

If you want do a clear uninstall of VS, you need to use uninstall/force command.

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015 Professional. If you installed from media, please insert that media.
    2.Open a command prompt.
      a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
      b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).
    3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force
      Example: D:\vs_xxx.exe /uninstall /force

4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

For more details, please refer to:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall/

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by rgturner Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:24 AM
  • Thanks!   This solution worked like a charm!
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:45 PM
  • Hi rgturner,

I'm glad that it works, and thank you for sharing your result here.

Have a nice day :)

Best Regards,

Friday, June 17, 2016 1:35 AM