Disable wireless disconnect when running under lock screen RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing an application which should run under lock screen (disable application idle detection) and periodically call a HTTP server over the WLAN connection. Is there a way to prevent wireless disconnecting while running under lock screen?

Thanks.
    Friday, March 30, 2012 5:32 PM

All replies

• The official statement is that wifi shuts down under lock screen. 

But according to at least one developer, the wifi shuts down only if you quit using it; while you are active on the network, under lock screen, wifi will stay up. Once you stop there appears to be some timeout then it shuts off.

Be advised that your app will need to pass Marketplace Certification requirements; see this blog for more general tips and links.

-Mark
    Friday, March 30, 2012 5:57 PM
  • But according to at least one developer, the wifi shuts down only if you quit using it; while you are active on the network, under lock screen, wifi will stay up. Once you stop there appears to be some timeout then it shuts off.

That article is correct for Background Audio Streaming too according to my testing.  As long as you keep a connection 'connected', Wifi appears to stay activated.  The shut-down timeout seems more like a polling interval internally though.  Sometimes I don't have a chance to reconnect when a stream dumps me, other times it can reconnect without problems.
    Friday, March 30, 2012 7:18 PM