Sql 2008 cluster server re-installation in existing site.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I've got sorf of problem on our cluster which is related cluster that had been broken twice and microsoft recovered it but when we got the problem again it makes us not to trust it..Finally we have came up with an idea that reconstructing sql cluster in existing network..So in my case I got four instance and cluster name etc. and have to be so careful to reconstructing it because I cannot even let my network down any minute.. As you know ip address name of instances must be the same therefore I can't even install server in existing the network which can be caused ip and name conflict..I am wonderind where am I supposed to start or is there any way to install servers as the same instances and name of servers.. It think there has to be a scenario to install the same instances while the system works..

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Kenan,

The point here is to reinstall the SQL Server cluster without downtime. As you have pointed, to install a new SQL Server cluster is required new IP address, DNS Name. In this case, you may have a try to use CNAME to redirect the client to the new SQL Server cluster instance. Before the redirection, you need to synchronize the data from old server to new server before. The threads below may be helpful to you on this issue:

CNAMES and SQL Clustering on Windows 2008
    Defining CNAME on DNS for named SQL Instances

To make things simple, you may have a consideration to remove the node which is unhealthy, and add it back after reinstall the node.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Stephanie Lv Friday, December 23, 2011 5:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, December 30, 2011 2:49 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:37 AM