SQL Windows Authentication from Trusted Domain RRS feed

• Question

• In our existing setup; DomainB trusts DomainA (one way Forest-wide Trust). Users are mostly in DomainA while the SQL servers (with mixed authentication in all of them) are in DomainB. 

Users from DomainA have been accessing SQL servers using DomainB credentials via the "runas..." command...

However, we would like them to use their own DomainA credentials to access SQL. RDP and file shares are accessible this way, only SQL's not! 

I've done tons of research on the Internet and using this forum as the last resort.

Any advice, pointer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sharad

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Maybe this thread will help you solve your issue:

Cross Domain SQL Server Logins Using Windows Authentication

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:14 PM
  • When delegating sql service user (domain\sqlagents in my case), shall I delegate it to the user or computer? I'm guessing computer, would that be the domain controller or the sql cluster server(s)?

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:43 PM
  • It's the Service Account of SQL Server that needs this right (for delegation). Neither Computer - althought if I remember correctly, those will have it anyways.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:45 PM
  • That's what I'm trying to do. Here is what I have done so far:

Logged into SQL servers and found out the SQLSERVER service accounts (from Services.msc window)

Logged onto domain controller (in DomainB) and was trying to delegate the service user, but got stuck at who to delegate it to (user or computer.) Shall I type in the same service username in the Users and Computers screen?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Ignore my previous posting, I think I got it. Will post the results later...
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:55 PM