Can I stop my app quitting if the user locks their computer?

Question

• Part of my app has a long-running activity in it. I've observed that if I lock the screen on my computer (Win+L) then, after a while, the app stops running. My app survives that and the resuming but the problem is that there isn't really a good reason why it couldn't carry on running and processing the long-running activity ... except for the fact that the OS killed the app.

Is there a setting or similar that I can use to stop my app being told to quit?

I can't switch over to using a background task because they aren't allowed to do enough work. The long-running activity would being a *really* long running activity then :-(

I just need to find a way of stopping the app from quitting, if possible.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:47 AM

Answers

• No, there's no way to prevent your app from suspending. You'll need to either move long-running tasks into the background or pause them and continue when the user resumes your app.

If the purpose of the app is significant long-running background processing then it may be better as a desktop app than as a Windows Store app. If this is a side-loaded enterprise app then you can use a brokered windows runtime component to hybridize the two.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:15 PM
    Owner